Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 10 years ago

Can I marry my First Cousin Once Removed In India?

I am a Brahmin Iyer living in India, Bangalore. To elaborate my question further, let us assume the following:

My Mother is A

My Mother's Mother (my grandmother) is B

B's Youngest Sister is C

C's Youngest Daughter is D

Facts:

C is younger than A (i.e. my grandmother's sister is younger than my own mother)

D is younger than me (i.e. my grandmother's sister's daughter is younger than me by about 8 years)

What is the relationship between D and me according Hindu Marriage Act or according to Tamil Brahmin Iyer customs? I checked online at it says that she is my first cousin once removed. Is this the same legal relationship applicable in India too?

As per the Hindu Marriage Act or as per Tamil Brahmin Iyer customs, am I allowed to marry her.

Also what is sapinda and are she and I sapindas according to law, here in India? Need explanation to Sapinda in simple plain language and not complicated legal terms.

Regards,

GanZ

Favorite Answer

Except for the special case of Tamil Brahmin tradition, you and the girl you are asking about would be sapinda, and the Hindu Marriage Act would you from marrying each other. "Sapinda" means that you are part of the same extended family with rights of inheritance and mutual support within that group. Hindus cannot marry within their sapinda. To determine if you are sapinda with someone else, count up the generations to a common relative:

From you to your mother: one generation

From your mother to your grandmother: a second generation

From your grandmother to your great-grandmother, who is also "D's" grandmother: a third generation

If it is three generations or fewer going through your mother, then you are sapinda; or ...

If it is five generations or fewer, going through your father, then you are sapinda.

HOWEVER, the Hindu marriage act allows exceptions to the sapinda rule, where there is a pre-existing tradition of cousin marriage. Among the Tamil Brahmins, cousin marriage is an accepted custom. It would probably not be allowed if the relationship were "paternal" (through your father), but a maternal sapinda marriage is allowed in your culture and caste.

Many people, especially Americans here on Yahoo Answers, will tell you how "icky" cousin marriage is, and how it "causes birth defects". These are rather narrow-minded and not well-founded comments. It is true that, when people with very similar genetic heritage marry, the probability increases that they will have the same recessive genes and hence that their children will show recessive characteristics.

"Recessive characteristics" aren't necessarily birth defects. They MAY may include negative characteristics such as genetic disease or deformity, but they also include positive characteristics such as various forms of giftedness, or neutral characteristics such as blond hair and blue eyes. The probability of recessive reinforcements drops by 50% with each generation too and from a common ancestor. Sisters and brothers on average have 25% shared genetic material. Cousins have 6% shared genetic material. You and your first-cousin-once-removed have only 3% shared genetics. Studies show the genetic risk due to cousin marriage is between 1 and 2% higher than the genetic risk in the general population. This level of risk is easily addressed by genetic counselling.

i do not get this question in any respect. Are you asking if he can marry his cousin, brother or daughter? Or his cousin's brother's daughter? Then the 2d section is even more suitable complicated. This makes no experience.

marry your cousin

that would be incense

gross

noooooo no no no no... if your cousin is in any sentence with marriage and you, there should be a noo in there.

your ejaculating over your cousin.

we have bigger problems.