What is this "airspace"?

Here is a link to the sectional chart of Monroe, Louisiana. http://skyvector.com/?ll=32.504309722,-91.98207527...

My question is: What is the shaded in airspace straight north of the Monroe TRSA? I tried looking in the legend of the sectional, but didn't see any thing like it.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The fact that the solid line surrounding the Wildlife Refuge is not explained in the legend of the sectional is an issue that a student of mine brought up a few weeks ago; the FAA should change that. Nonetheless, what does a Wildlife Refuge mean to you as a pilot? Perhaps the most important thing is to keep in mind is that you are requested (not required) to maintain "a minimum of 2,000 feet above the surface" (AIM 7-4-6; paragraph "b"). As stated in AIM 7-4-6 (b), the 2,000 feet advisory is further specified in FAA Advisory Circular (AC) 91-36C -- titled "Visual Flight Rules (VFR) Flight Near Noise- Sensitive Areas." According to AC 91-36-C, "Pilots operating fixed-and rotary-wing aircraft under VFR over noise sensitive areas should make every effort to fly not less than 2,000 feet above the service, weather permitting." AC 91-36C further states that "The intent of the 2,000 feet recommendation is to reduce potential interference with wildlife, and complaints of noise disturbances from low-flying aircraft in canyons and valleys."

Refer to Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) Chapter 7-4-6; this is titled "Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas." Paragraph "a" essentially states that aircraft are prohibited from landing in Wildlife Refuges for the exception of (1) emergencies - and - (2) "at designated landing sites, or when on official business of the Federal Government; paragraph "b" essentially states that you are "requested" (again, not required) to maintain a minimum of 2,000 feet "above the surface [AGL]" of "National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, Recreation Areas, and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refugees, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges, and Wildlife Ranges administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Wilderness and Primitive areas administered by the U.S. Forest Service; paragraph "d" highlights the prohibition of "airdrops by parachutes or other means of persons, cargo, or objects from aircraft on lands administered by the the three agencies without authorization ... exceptions include 'emergencies' or the 'threat of serious property loss."

So to answer your question, the solid line -- and shaded area -- surrounding Felsenthal National Wildlife Refuge is simply a "Wildlife Refuge." The FAA advises you to not fly any lower than 2,000 feet above surface of any Wildlife Refuge.

Source(s): I am a Certificated Flight Instructor in the Los Angeles area. I used the following resources to answer your question: - AIM 7-4-6: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs... - AC 91-36C: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_o...
  • Paul M
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Good question!

However it is not a depiction of an airspace, it is a representation of a distinctive ground feature. In this case some kind of marshland surrounded by a road.

• 10 years ago

It's an area on the ground that is "land subject to inundation". It means the river overflows and the water collects there - so it might not always be recognizable or look the same from the air.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

It is a wildlife refuge that is a lake and marshland mixture. Probably filled with birds. That's the way the Okefenokee Swamp in south Georgia looks.

Source(s): Naval Aviator
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.