I want to run my furnace by remote control.?

Using a thermostat, transmitter, receiver, and a solid state relay to act as a electronic switch, I want to turn my furnace on and off. Right now I am using a toggle switch to close and open a circuit running the furnace. I have no problem with the transmitter part, but if I hook the two wires going to the furnace... show more Using a thermostat, transmitter, receiver, and a solid state relay to act as a electronic switch, I want to turn my furnace on and off. Right now I am using a toggle switch to close and open a circuit running the furnace. I have no problem with the transmitter part, but if I hook the two wires going to the furnace circuit board to the receiver (which has a small relay inside) everything goes crazy. This is because the receiver terminals and the two wires from the furnace each have voltage. I could use a non latching relay and a transformer on the receiver side, but I would rather use a solid state relay to isolate the two circuits. I know little about solid state relays and do not know how to hook it up or what to use. The receiver runs on 24v and the furnace is low voltage too.
Update: I forgot to add that we repair garage doors and assorted electronics, so I have access to the parts almost free. I wanted to try building the device and while I could read up on the relays, it is better to hear from experience. I also have most of the parts now, including the thermostat. (programmable) If I do not... show more I forgot to add that we repair garage doors and assorted electronics, so I have access to the parts almost free. I wanted to try building the device and while I could read up on the relays, it is better to hear from experience. I also have most of the parts now, including the thermostat. (programmable) If I do not build it the now modified parts are going to sit on my workbench for years.Thanks!