Major differences between Long Beach, CA and Smithfield, RI?

I'm trying to decide whether to go to California State University Long Beach or Bryant University in Smithfield, RI. I know the obvious differences that Long Beach is a beautiful beach town centrally located near Los Angeles, and Smithfield is a small college town in the hills of Northern Rhode Island near... show more I'm trying to decide whether to go to California State University Long Beach or Bryant University in Smithfield, RI. I know the obvious differences that Long Beach is a beautiful beach town centrally located near Los Angeles, and Smithfield is a small college town in the hills of Northern Rhode Island near Providence, but I am unaware of the atmosphere and the attitude of the people in these areas and the positives and negatives of each. This will be my first year as a college student so knowing the pros and cons of each place relative to this fact would be extremely benficial.