Few questions about the army?

I will enlist to join the army later. I'm currently 21 and college student.

I'll just cut to the chase.

1. How long is the Basic Training?

2. What types of training do they do?

3. I consider myself pretty athletic since I played sports in high school and

I still hit the gym every day (little bit on the chubby side though).

Will I have any problem catching up with the army training?

4. What is the next step to look forward to after the end of the training?

5. What types of job are there? I heard there are many. Let's just say I want

to choose the engineering. Will I going to be learning from the very bottom?

Only serious comments please :)

Oh and I forgot to add something.

6. Before I join the army, How should I prepare myself and what to expect? So that way,

I can prepare myself and get used to for any situation when something comes up

Oh and I forgot to add something.

• LK
    Favorite Answer

1) really depends on the branch and the unit. Most units here have 8 weeks, but mine has a standard of 12 (and ended up being 17).

2) Do you mean physical exercise? In that case, look forward to all the running and pushups and rifle-gym and stuff, plus CoCo (combat conditioning), running around beating each other up in full kit, doing sprints with kit (assault vest and rifle etc) and all, tabbing / running with a heavy backpack, and stuff. :D Apart from the physed, there's of course all the basic skills you need as a soldier, like the previous answerer said. Battle Drills (how to act in a contact), radio comms, navigation, and all that kind of stuff. My platoon has an extra-special love of CUF, care under fire, also known as TCCC (Tactical Combat Care Conditioning). It's battle drills (advancement, retreating and so forth) combined with TOSW (transport of sick and wounded) and is the most hellish CoCo you could ever imagine.

3) It depends. The hardest aspect of training school is the mental hell they set up for you, but being in shape makes it all easier. I'd recommend trying to get rid of the puppy fat. It's not the tracksuit training that kills you anyway, it's the CoCo, and for that I'd really recommend preparing yourself. Running with a backpack and heavy boots etc.

4) Having the status that comes with stepping up in rank and not being a recruit (or aspirant) any more. To me, becoming a Guardsman was like whoa, now I'm finally a soldier. And they do slack up a bit and stop being hellish. Most times when you finish training school they give you a new set of officers, who aren't in the "let's be douchebags" mindset.

5) Yep. Here we have an Engineering Batallion. It's a physically tough unit and you become an engineer from the ground up. I was seriously considering it for a while - they pay you to get educated whilst also paying for your food, clothing and housing !! but I'm going to study engineering in a civilian university instead. When you sign up there, you get your 5-year education and also have to sign a contract obligating you to work for them for another 5 years (as many years as the education takes). In a place where people are out of work, it's a good way of ensuring you have a job for the next ten years. But remember it's not a walk in the park, it's all professional soldiery along with the education.

6) Go ahead and get yourself into killer shape. Get used to having a poor economy. And for God's sake get used to the thought of sharing showers and living quarters intimately with a lot of other guys. And that the food isn't going to be top notch. ;D

1. BCT is 9 weeks long.

2. In BCT (Basic Combat Training) you will learn various things such as drill and ceremony, BRM (Basic Rifle Marksmanship), water survival, battle drills, map reading and land navigation, and most importantly teamwork and the ability to carry out orders, etc.

3. As long as you are willing to push yourself then you shouldnt have a problem. I would certainly suggest you start working on running, pushups, and sittups though as you will be doing a lot of them at Basic.

4. After BCT you will go to AIT (Advanced Individualized Training) where you will learn the skills for your specific MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). The lengths of this training vary depending on your particular MOS. For some MOS's you will go through OSUT (One Station Unit Training) where BCT and AIT are combined. After you complete both BCT and AIT you will be placed into a unit and begin your career as a soldier.

5. The Army has many MOS's, more than any other branch of the military. You can research the various jobs at www.goarmy.com to see which ones might interest you the most. No matter what MOS you choose on the enlisting side of the spectrum you will always start from the bottom.

Hope I helped and good luck!

Source(s): US Army ROTC Cadet

HI, Basic is appx 9 weeks long and it is is well just that- basic training. You will do physical conditioning every day. The Drill Seargeants there will train you up on the basic fundamentals of being a soldier, how to talk like a soldier, act like a soldier, and look like a soldier. you will be taught rifle marksmanship with a Colt M16A2 rifle that you will carry with you at all times. you will be taught land navigation, drill and ceremony, how to use basic military equipment, how to administer first aid, how to react in a combat situation, and much more crap. and yes they will shave your head- bald. you will be told what to do and how to do it constantly. And they will yell and use physical exercises to punish you and it does suck. After basic you go to a different base for whats called AIT which is pretty much your job training. You will only be taught the basic skill level of your job and your career progression begins when you get to your regular unit. There are different types of engineering jobs in the army. go to www.goarmy.com to search for the different jobs.

And if you are worried about the physical part, go to this website http://www.armyrotc.mtu.edu/Materials/APFT.pdf and look for your age group. If you can do the required amount of pushups and situps in the 2 min time frame each, and you can run 2 miles in the time listed in your age group you should be good.

You can't really prepare for it, you just endure it.

good luck?

Source(s): 4 years active duty as a helicopter crewchief, with 2 deployments
  • Tom

You mean that you are enlisting with an OCS College Option...

http://www.goarmy.com/ocs.html

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/ocs/

Then you need to be prepared for OCS which follows Basic Training and is at a much higher physical level. Branch Selection depends on performance at OCS and the initial fitness score is 15% of the total that goes into the order of merit on which officer candidates are ranked.

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/OCS/co...

Below is for Rotc Branch Selection but offers a description of the Branches, not all of which are available to OCS commissioned Officers:

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/careers.html

This will more than physically prepare you; begin at the level of fitness you are at presently in the program below:

Step 1:

https://www.nrotc.navy.mil/pdfs/pre-conditioning.p...

On completion....

Step 2:

http://www.dcmarineofficer.com/physicalpreparation...

Good Luck!

go to a recruiters office bro, he has all the answers and he has been there before