What does "I thought you'd never ask" mean?

In a tv show it was something like

Character a: so we need a new teacher substitute

Character b: I thought you'd never ask

And my friends laughed.

What does it mean? And why was it funny?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I thought you'd never ask

means I have been waiting and hoping for you to ask, what took you so long?!

In this case I am SURE it is being said sarcastically (I don't hink anyone is dying to be a sub)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

Well it's not funny out of context. You'd have to know the whole conversation and characters. If I said, "I thought you'd never ask" to someone, that would mean I had been waiting for them to ask me to do something Maybe it took them a long time to ask or I'm just impatient. Like this:

Let's say I really like a guy and I've been flirting with him but I don't want to make the first move.

Guy: So, here's the deal. I really like you and I was wondering if you'd like to get a cup of coffee with me some time

Me: I thought you'd never ask!

• MJ fan
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

By "I thought you'd never ask" they mean that the character b was expecting the character a to say what he said. But I don't find that funny. :/

• 9 years ago

Usually it is said as a "sigh" of relief. "I thought you would never ask to go to the library".

Usually the character saying "I thought you would never ask doesn't want to say, "do you want to go to the library" and the person wanting to go to the library would be afraid to ask for whatever reason.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

It's pretty literal. "I thought you'd never ask" basically implies "Yes, I want to do it!"

• 9 years ago

Character B wanted to be asked that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.