Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Iv infusion of D5W 1000 mL to infuse for eight hours. Iv tubing being used delivers 15gtt/ml. Flow rate iswhat?

what would be the correct flow rate for it.

Update:

ok thanks Kb i was sure before i ask the question i had did it wrong because i did 1000x 15gtt over 8hrs and came up with the same answer 31.25 didnt know if i was correct or not

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

125 ml/hr

• KB929
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you have an IV pump, you would set the rate at 125 ml/hr. You get that by dividing 1000 by 8.

If you need to count drops, that's a different story. I haven't had to do that in a loooong time.

But, what you would do is figure out how many drops per hour...so 15*125 = 1875 gtts per hour.

Divide that by 60...1875/60 = 31.25 or 31 to round off...so 31 gtts per minute...or one drop every 2 seconds.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.