Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

How does it hurt anyone if people celebrate their faith in public?

Seriously, can it really harm you, in some way, if you are not a pagan, for instance, that they now have their pentagrams on their graves?

Can it harm you, to see a Muslim pray five times a day, or wear the hajib?

What is the harm in seeing a Jewish man wearing his side locks?

How can it hurt you, seeing a Christian cross at the side of the road?

What if you happened to be in a public restaurant, and overheard someone praying? Would some terrible fate befall?

Somebody please explain to me, why all the nonsense about eliminating any mention of God (anyone's God, that is) from any public forum?

Whether it is the Ten Commandments in a courtroom, or Vulcan, standing there in the middle of Birmingham, or a cross on a hill in California, or a Menorah displayed in a hotel lobby...have we become such spoiled children that we must smash one another's religious symbols?

(Btw, as far as I know, only one Christian has complained about Vulcan. Southern Alabama? Hmmmm...)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most of what freedom to worship publicly we have in America, we have because Jehovah's Witnesses already had to prove it in federal courts.

However, it wouldn't be fair to keep that to ourselves. The freedoms of worship and speech belong to all.

We should all be grateful for this freedom. In Russia, laws that were supposedly written to protect religious minorities from suppression are now being used to prosecute minority religions.

• 10 years ago

I agree. The only issue with displaying a religious emblem in a courtroom or on state-owned property or using tax dollars to fund the purchase of a religious emblem is that it implies that the state is religious. These things imply a state-approved religion which is a violation of the "establishment clause" of the first amendment of the bill of rights (that the state can make no establishments in reguards to a religion... often thought of as the notion of "seperation of church and state")... unless, of course, that display also contains representative symbols from a wide variety of religions, not just one. If the state establishes a state religion, this has sweeping effects which negativly effect people in the state who practice a religion other then the accepted state religion... people who don't practice the state religion are no longer treated as equal citizens.

If the ten commandments is displayed in a courthouse, the implication is that the laws of the land are the same as the laws of the Christian God which would influence the outcome of court cases involving the violation of Christian commandments which are not ordinarily against the laws of the state, such as covetting your neighbors wife or worship Gods other then YHWH. This is unfair to non-Christian citizens of that state or district who might be tried in those courts.

But as far as the rest of it, it's pretty much BS that people complain about someone wearing a head-scarf, praying out loud, putting whatever symbols on their gravestones etc. It's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. To deny people the right to practice their faith would be a violation of the "free practice clause" of the first amendment of the bill of rights (that the state cannot inhibit the free practice of a religion).

-Scarlet

Source(s): eclectic neo-pagan
  • 4 years ago

honestly, putting up the ten Commandments, by potential of themselves, in a governmental construction, *never replaced into* politically the excellent option. even with the undeniable fact that, whilst they have been placed up (alongside with the additions to the Pledge, and so on), Christianity had far greater political capacity, and all people replaced into frightened of the "godless Commies." What people do on their own land is as much as them. What businesses do - see you later as they're honest to their workers, additionally isn't my project. even with the undeniable fact that, what the government does, at any point, should be honest. So, in the event that they are going to placed up the ten Commandments, there would desire to be allowances made for comparable reflects from different religions - which, regrettably, infrequently occurs. (consult with the problems persons had in getting pentagrams on protection stress headstones, or having a non-Christian provide invocations earlier Congress.) Public expressions of religion are basically high-quality. I worry whilst politicians make particular faith-based comments that are exclusionary, yet otherwise, their faith should not be an argument.

• Gary F
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

>>Somebody please explain to me, why all the nonsense about eliminating any mention of God (anyones God, that is) from any public forum?<<

In America, it is unconstitutional to use and federal / public resources on any religion. The US Constitution established the first 100% secular government in human history.

And if the constitution is not clear enough, the nation's founders made sure their intentions were known:

Introduced during the Presidency of George Washington in 1796; passed unanimously by the 1797 US Congress and signed into law by the second President of the US, John Adams:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion"

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/bar1796t.a...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

No, it doesn't hurt anyone or anything if people celebrate their faith in public.

However it's quite common for some religions to overstep their boundaries and impose their beliefs on others. They do this because they believe it's their God given right to do so.

Because of this, they're ruining it for everyone else. And we can't just say "Hey, religion X. Knock it off" because that would be perceived as discriminatory. So instead we have to lay down blanket rules that apply to all religions equally.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Because there is a difference between wearing something to express your faith on your person and inflicting on the rest of us by putting it up in a government building that is paid by tax dollars. The moment my money is going to pay for your religion is the moment I am pissed off.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Some people are close-minded and will not accept others for what they are not what they practice. I have a few friends (Muslim, Gay, Protestant) that are different than I. I'm Catholic and I'm dating a Mormon girl. People's freedom of expression is entirely misused, I must say. We just have to learn to accept that there are people that just aren't as civilized as others and that bigotry can roam wild (as mild as it may be at times).

• It is disrespectful to celebrate faith in public. Faith is about having a relationship with someone and in an ordinary relationship, nobody throws their partner down another man, or womans throat. They keep their relationship private and between themselves. God deserves better respect than an ordinary relationship but people just throw Him around for other woman and men to touch. He is not sacred to people anymore.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Expressing your religion in public is ok with me, but putting your religion in a court house that is supposed to be unbiased is another thing.

Personal in public is ok.

Privet business in public is ok.

Public representation should be god free, and that means any god.

Source(s): I became a Pagan Priest in 1985. I am High Priest of Seekers Temple, A Pagan Temple and Store in El Paso, AR. http://www.seekerstemple.com/
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

You know that feeling you get when you see two men making out? It's a similar sensation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.