How soon after having strep can you get it again?

I had strep, and I'm assuming gave it to my mother, who gave it to my sister. I went to the doctor and took a 3-pack of antibiotics and I am not sick anymore. I have not been contagious for a week or so and they are just now getting sick.

Am I going to get it again? I just drank and ate after my sister, whose throat is hurting.

• Maria
    Favorite Answer

Because Strep is a bacterial infection and not viral your body isn't able to develop an immunity to it the way you are to something like a cold. You are able to catch it again as soon as the medications have cleared out of your system. That doesn't necessarily mean that you will, just that you can. I would make sure that you are doing lots of salt water gargles throughout the day and washing your hands frequently and make sure that you are disinfecting frequently touched surfaces. It seems to help me stay well when people in my home are sick.

• Shaun

You can get it again, because as it passes from person to person it mutates, it likely mutated as you still had it.