Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 9 years ago

Does AT&T have the exclusivity for the iphone for the whole world? Can we sue them?

After the termination of the contact with AT&T- please note that I payed all my bills and the termination fees-they refuse to unlock my iphone. I payed for it. I payed all the bills, I should own the phone, right? they say they are not able to unlock it. It's like buying a car, paying for it and the car dealer doesn't give you the keys because he says he doesn't own it. Do I have ground to sue them. There are many people like me. Why we should unlock the phone illegally? I live in Thailand now and I can use many carriers. AT&T doesn't have exclusivity for the whole world. They doesn't have the right to stop me to use my property. Please let me know your thoughts.

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately they do have the right to keep it locked. I used to be a team leader for AT&T and they have there bases pretty well covered on this. However, with regards to a lawsuit... If you wanted to sue them you would need to take them to arbitration, the best process is going to www.adr.org and filing the arbitration on there. In the contracts AT&T requires that you must settle all disputes through arbitration. The good thing is they will pay for the legal fee's. You may just try filling and they might just end up settling to avoid legal costs. However the easiest solution would be to just go onto youtube or pcworld.com and there are guides on how to jailbreak your iphone successfully.

BlakeC

Http://www.homebuilderwholesale.com/blog

• Aria

I think this is what happen when you sign a contract: the reason is because you don't pay fooll price for the phone, eaven after the termination of the contract, the company doesn't let you free.

• Rich

Verizon also carries Iphones....AT&T uses GSM technology.. Verizon uses CDMA.. (Not compatible.) You may get an Iphone from different carriers around the world, but they sell their own equipment set for their type of system..