There is no J in Hebrew nor is there a J sound in Hebrew so how could there ever be a people called jews or a?

What Land of captivity were the Jews gathered from to be returned to the land that was desginated to the 12 tribes of Yisrael, and if Yisrael was to return in peace why hasn't it been any peace in that land since the State of Israel was created in 1948?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1. In Hebrew, it is a "Y" sound.

Once upon a time, the letter "J" was pronounced like a "Y" is today.

That is why the English Bibles and Gospels stuck in many J's as in Judea, Jerusalem, Elijah, and Jesus.

In Hebrew these are: Yehuda, Yerushalyim, Elyihahu, and Yeshua.

The English pronounciation of the letter J changed but the spellings did not. So, English speakers began mis-pronouncing all of these Biblical words and names.

2. The messianic prophecy is that when the messiah comes, all Jews, even the lost tribes, will return to Israel and live in peace (as will the rest of the world as no one will make war any more in the world).

So, clearly, the messiah has not come yet.

But, it does not say that one cannot have the state of Israel until the messiah comes.

Let's use an analogy.

Martin Luther King Jr had a dream, that one day the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will sit together at the table of peace and all will be judged on the content of their character and not the color their skin.

We are not there yet. But, African Americans have the right to vote.

I think it would be pretty faulty thinking to argue that MLK would say: we don't have full equality and peace yet, so African Americans should not have the right to vote.

We're getting to peace and full equality. I hope I live to see it.

Similarly, I think rebuilding Yisrael is a good thing. We're not at the perfected world yet. I hope I live to see it.

Peace.

• HEBREW : The name was given to Abraham by the Canaanites ( genesis 14/13)

because he crossed the Euphrates River- it derives from the word

"Eb" meaning: Beyond the other side or: Distinction between 2 races

from East and West. They were called that to make the difference.

ISRAELITE :

is used by the Jews among themselves, because the word "Hebrews"

was the word used only by foreigners to call them.

JEW : This name was applied to a member of the Kingdom of Judah after the

separation of the 10 tribes. The name Jew was used first just before the

captivity of the 10 tribes. ( 2 Kings 14/6-7)

• 10 years ago

Jew stems from the word Judah. A Jew is a person from the tribe of Judah. The reason there is no peace in that land is because the real Jews that belong there aren't there. The real Israelites are scattered throughout all of the world and many of them don't know they are Israelites. The Most High will correct this in the future as he will set the nation of Israel straight and all will know who the true chosen nation is.

• 10 years ago

I'm not sure about the second question, but Jew is an English word. They're called something else in Hebrew, that doesn't have a 'J' sound..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • That factoid is irrelevant when names are translated into other languages.

"Jews" is Yehudim in Hebrew.

But if you are speaking English, the term is "Jews."

Most of the Hebrew "Y" names in the Bible are spelled with "J" in English.

That's just the way language develops.

The political question has nothing to do with the linguistic one.

Source(s): Linguistics
  • John P
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

'Jew' is the English version. Open your mind to the idea that other people pronounce things differently.

• 10 years ago

"Jew" (noun) : late 12c. (in plural, "giwis"), from Anglo-French "iuw", from Old French "giu", from Latin "Judaeum" (nominative "Judaeus"), from Greek "Ioudaios", from Aramaic "jehudhai" (Hebrew "y'hudi") "Jew," from 'Y'hudah' "Judah," lit. "celebrated," name of Jacob's fourth son and of the tribe descended from him. Replaced Old English 'Iudeas' "the Jews." Originally meant "Hebrew of the kingdom of Judah."

"Hebrew" : late Old English, from Old French 'Ebreu', from Latin 'Hebraeus', from Greek 'Hebraios', from Aramaic ' 'ebhrai', corresponding to Hebrew ' 'ibhri' "an Israelite," lit. "one from the other side," in reference to the River Euphrates, or perhaps simply signifying "immigrant;" from ' 'ebher' "region on the other or opposite side."

• 10 years ago

They have their own word for it. Jew is the translated version

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Loved this question

• Bryce
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Wow, that's brilliant. So if there are no Jews, there couldn't have been a Holocaust.

Wow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.