The cat is very, very angry!?

My friend is moving to an apartment where she can't have pets (it was the only place she could get in to in the time allowed) we tried giving her cat, female unfixed 1 year old, to another friend but the cat went on wild on them. She growled and swatted at them any time they entered the room she was in and actually ripped through a pair of leather gloves. We tried one of the collars the vet recommended with the pheromones the mother cat gives off but it didn't help. When the original owner took her back she was fine, back to love and sweet to guests myself included. So I tried bringing her into my house, now she is doing the same things only to me and she has made me bleed. I haven't taken her out of the carrier, just set her down keeping my cats away from her and putting her things from home around the room.

Do you have any suggestions on how to calm her down? She was didn't calm down in two weeks of being with the other people, only got worse, and I don't want to have to send her to a shelter.

Facts about the home: I have three other cats, 1 is a litter mate of the one I am bringing in. All the others are fixed and were happy giving her space until she attacked me, then she got smacked by my eldest.

Have you been through this? Suggestions and stories welcome and needed!

We are planning on getting her fixed as soon as the funds are available. Her original owners are paying as the hope is she will be able to remain with me for about a year and a half to two years. I am giving her free reign in my office which I steam cleaned before her arrival and have added her toys and bowls and such from home. I am also making certain to sit in there with her working on my computer so she has sounds that are similar to home and happen often in my house. I talk quietly to her when she growls and it sometimes calms her, sometimes enrages her.

Clover, the cat in question was originally from a home of three cats, one was her mother and one was her father. The second home she tried had an older cat who she beat senseless. I am thinking you all are right about the time and the scents, and I am trying to spend time with her but it is difficult when she comes after me for entering the room. *crosses fingers* I'm going to try the being there but not paying attention to only her and keep watching for all your suggestions! Thanks so much for the advice so far!

Favorite Answer

This poor cat isn't just angry, she's scared and confused. She went from her own familiar home (and person) to a new home, then back to her person, and now to you, in a strange home with 3 strange cats. Pretty scary for any cat. It will take her awhile to feel safe and secure, several months or more. Sharing your office with her is a great idea. If there's not already a litter box in there, add one and keep her in that room only, separated from the other cats and the rest of the house. She'll be much happier and feel much more secure in one room. A new home can be very overwhelming and she's already so stressed. Having a room of her own with things that are familiar to her, along with regular visits from you, should go a long way in calming her. Be patient; don't push her; don't approach her or give her any reason to get upset. Let her come to you, and she will in time. Talking quietly to her is wonderful and will begin to soothe her even more as she grows accustomed to your voice and your company. If she likes treats, you can bring her a few treats each time you visit her, and she'll begin to look forward to it. Once she's settled down a bit, which she should in a few days, play with her with a string or fishing-pole type of toy. She needs to run and jump and chase something to burn off some energy. She's a very young cat, energetic and frustrated. Spaying her will help her become less aggressive.

After a week or so, start feeding your cats right outside the office door. If your 3 won't eat together in a small space, then take turns with them. The point of this is to let them smell each other while they're doing something enjoyable like eating. Take slightly damp washcloths or small towels and swap their scents -- rubbing them on your cats and then on the new one, then on the new one first and then on yours. Since smell is the most important thing to a cat, you can help them become familiar with each other by exchanging their scents. You can also take a blanket or cat bed that the new one has slept on for a few days and put it out in a room where your cats can sniff it and maybe even sleep in it. Do the same for the new one by bringing in a blanket or bed that some of your cats have used. And continue feeding them on opposite sides of the door. After a couple of weeks, open the office door a crack now and then when one of your cats is around. They can sniff each other (and probably hiss) and add to their familiarity. Keep the sniff sessions brief at first so they don't become growling/swatting opportunities. Eventually you'll get to the point where you're letting the new cat out into the house briefly and then for longer periods of time. Have a squirt/spray bottle around with water in it and be prepared to spray if the hostility gets out of hand at all. No swatting or attacking allowed. Have treats with you and be sure to praise and treat any cat who's being tolerant. If this all sounds time-consuming, well, it is. But each of these things take no more than a few minutes at a time. Be consistent and stick with it. This process won't create best friends, but what it does that's so important is that it gives the introduction process some structure and guidelines, which does so much in terms of getting the relationships off to a good start. You're already doing a number of positive things! Your friend is very fortunate that you're willing to take in her cat. When a cat behaves aggressively in a shelter situation it is usually euthanized. Shelters generally don't have the time (or the staff) to be patient and work with a frightened cat. You are literally saving this kitty's life.

Source(s): owned by cats 40+ years; shelter cat volunteer; foster mom for kittens

ok, first lets help you brain storm.. the cat was used to being the only cat in the house right?

then, we have the situation about going outside, to a new owner, and lots of new smells.

"were is my master?" "were is this place?" "how did i get into the looking glass?" "how do i get back home?" ("the looking glass" is simply saying the window, but we don't really know if they understand that much)

then to top everything off, when she got mean, she was taken to yet another place. again, with the smells, and new environment, and THEN new cats.

ok, so how do you fix it? now we are getting some were.

instead of locking her in her crate, lock her in the bathroom with food watter and litter.

be sure to lock your self in there too. if only as much as you can, "pop" in there every once in a while first, without touching her. then when she is laying down, and not nervous when you do this, start to kneel down, when she gets back up, back away. then when you have finely got her to the point, pet her, when she gets up, back away. and so on.. this will teach her that you do not wish to hurt her, but want to be firends. it should take up to a week, but she has been through so much already, could be worth your time.

Source(s): mind body and <3 plus five cats
  • KevinM

Give it some time. I had a friend's cat stay with us for a couple of weeks last summer, and my cat would hiss and make a fuss for the first week. Then she got used to the idea - it just took some time. In the meantime, stay away from the cat - don't try to calm her down, let her come to you when she's ready.

Or you could try the following directions on how to give a cat a pill - this might work too!

http://www.nanceestar.com/CatPill.html

• My cat makes me bleed.. sometimes. That's when he's in a playing mood and he's being silly.

That cat just sounds acustom to her owner and home. Probably why she's like this..? That just sounds obvious to me. She'd not be used to different place and people. I don't know how to fix that, but you should probably just take her to the vet or a shelter where they can help?

Also, you said she wasn't de-sexed. This will have a huge effect in itself. My kitty was crazy. Then he go de-sexed and he's not less crazy.. but he's alot more cuddley and loving. Maybe give the de-sexing a go.

• Try asking the vet for an anti anxiety! I know this mite not be related but my rescue dog was aggressive to me and our other dog so we asked the vet and he put her on elavil. Now shes an angel!

• 354gr

Wow, that sounds like one moody kitty.

lol I have to agree with Angie.

DON'T PISS THE D@MN CAT OFF!