Do my beliefs fall under the category of feminism?

I don't really understand what feminism is and I think the definition varies from person to person so I want to know how people perceive this.

I believe in equality. Plain and simple, but for both sexes. I don't necessarily reject traditional gender roles if that's the way people want to live their lives, but I do have a problem when they are expected of the person and someone is treated differently because he or she does not adhere to those gender roles. I despise things like Woman's History Month because I think they further promote discrimination.

I'm really not sure what else to say or how else to explain this. I just don't understand the difference between feminism and striving for gender equality, or if there is one at all.

Favorite Answer

Feminist started as a way to promote gender equality, like giving the chance to women to vote and be elected, to study in universities, to earn the same as men for the same job, among others. Sadly, some men-hating women took advantage of this legitimate struggle to promote their hate against men.

However, let me congratulate you, your beliefs are totally egalitarian in a world that actively demonizes men. I wish there were more people with the same beliefs and values as you.

Yes, you are a feminist. Feminism means simply that you support equal rights and opportunities for all people regardless of gender. It also means and that you are against any form of discrimination that is gender-based. That's all.

Feminism does NOT mean that you hate men, that you are a lesbian or that you are a shrill, aggressive bra-burning Nazi. Yes, some of those types do exist, but they don't represent mainstream feminists. Every movement is going to has its extremists. Unfortunately the media tends to focus on those types because they like to sensationalize everything, and that blows their perceived influence way out of proportion.

The average feminist is a working mother who just wants to be paid the same as a man for doing the same job and maybe even get a little help with the cooking, housework, child-rearing and eldercare.

1. Feminists themselves have absolutely on idea what Feminism is, because they are too dumb.

2. It is impossible to tell if you are a Feminists, because you don't give enough detail about your views.

3. It is all very well saying that you are in favour of equality. Many Feminists say that, too, but they are only in favour of equality when it suits women, When equality would suit men more than it suits women, Feminists are not in favour of equality.

4. Feminism is the application of the "victim of oppression" model to women. The definition of Feminism has nothing to do with equality.

5. Dictionaries may define Feminism as having something to do with equality, but those are Feminist dictionaries.

6. You have to compare what Feminists say with what they do. It is stupid to just believe whatever they say.

Yes, after a bit of disillusionment from someone, I have realized how wrong I had been to label myself as a feminist. It's NOTHING like the Dictionary definition of promoting gender equality. So weird. Many feminist organizations, writers, and publications are very men hating and just want to say women are far superior.

I found a better term. An Equalist. It means exactly what it sounds like. I believe all are born equal and should be treated like so. Egalitarian means the same, but equalist is better for memorization.

Feminism acknowledges there is a problem with how women are treated by society, policies and men. It is based on actual experience of injustice. Your question is all about what you "believe" and humanist philosophy, something of a male perspective that strives to keep their position of privilege and women one-down.

You believe in Gender Equality... However if you take your view to a wide range of equal no. of men and women from different paths of life, I am sure more women would support you than men (well at least by a small margin)... Which is why your view looks like you believe in Feminism... But its purely Gender Equality...

Chan

"I believe in equality.

I do have a problem when they are expected of the person and someone is treated differently because he or she does not adhere to those gender roles."

You're a feminist!

Source(s): The dictionary.

You are an egalitarian, aka a humanist. Feminism promotes female power and all of the perks/benefits that go with it. You are more concerned about equality than you are with advantages for women. You are not a feminist.

No, to be a feminist you must hate men and want lesbians to rule the Earth.

What you believe is just a confused mess of feminazi indoctrination and brainwashing gone awry.

Feminism promotes women over men. Gender equality promotes equality across the boards for men and women.