How many US citizens live in Mexico?

I saw a factoid that said that Mexico has the largest population of US citizens living outside the US, but it didn't give any numbers. I'm just curious what that figure is.

Favorite Answer

According to the US State Department:

In addition, between a half-million and a million American citizens live in Mexico.

That page was updated last November, so there hasn't been time for things to change much. Interestingly, I've found references to the same number being quoted in 2000. In one of them, the person quoting thinks that's wildly overstated, and does some research. What he learned was, as of 2000:

The official number of U.S. citizens residing in Mexico, including students, business persons temporarily in Mexico, immigrants, and legal residents is 124,082.

Contrast this with the State Department's claim of at least a half million, and it looks like Mexico may also have a problem with illegal American immigrants. Indeed, the US Embassy pretty much said that:

The Embassy staff who assisted me in this verification commented that, "The number strikes us as low . . . There are certainly MANY Americans who cross into Mexico via land border who never register with immigration. We at the consular services see a great number of Americans who have been here as long as a year without so much as a passport."

Presuming everyone's right, and further presuming nothing's changed much since 2000, then there are probably about 150,000 legal American immigrants living in Mexico, plus something between 300,000 and 850,000 illegals.

I live in a border state with Mexico. I speak Spanish too!

Many have gone there to retire as it is cheaper to do so. However, Mexico is at war with the drug lords and no one wants to be in the middle of that!

I have no clue as to the numbers of people who have chosen to live there.

I have been to Mexico and I loved the people there. So very nice and so very poorly treated by the government and the drug lords.

What breaks my heart is the fact that the children there are caught up in all of this. The drug lords kill entire families! Children are paid to make runs and they do so to help put food on the table! It is a horrible scene there and one which is most cruel to the innocent!

@YGG - what a narrowminded view!...

To answer the question - maybe you could google Mexico census? Not certain. I do know it must be very high. Why? MUCH cheaper economic living situations. My aunt moved there [just over the Texas border] from DC decades ago in her late 60's due to rising costs in our area. She rented a small cottage with 2 br's and 2 baths, a garden, patio, and had a gardener, driver and a maid for HALF of what she paid here in the States. She met many US folk and continued to play bridge [her fav pasttime] until her death. When she passed the locals took care of mostly everything as they had come to love her.

• Larry

A better question might be how many US citizens are in Mexico illegally?