Why are gas prices more expensive in Canada than in the United States when they have so much oil?

Despite Canada having the second largest oil reserve in the World, I find it that whenever I drive over to British Columbia, their gas prices are higher than Washington State. So my question is, why is fuel so expensive in Canada when they have such a large oil reserves?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because of higher fuel taxes.

Despite all the whining you hear, the US actually has some of the cheapest gas in the developed world.

• 10 years ago

Forget all the BS "Tar Sands" statements. It is one reason only....TAXES! It is even worse in Europe, despite the price of oil being the same throughout the world. The US pays EXACTLY what Canada does for oil, no more and no less!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

They only have 35 million people and a huge country. The roads have to be paid for that connect those 35 million, with taxes.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Becaues Canadians bend over and grab their ankles because of the gas taxes they pay

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Taxes.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Taxes, taxes, and more taxes. Federal taxes, provincial taxes, all hidden in the price.

Just another way Canada pays for all that "free" health care.

Canadian gasoline has always been more expensive.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

taxes and all oil goes on the world market -- same with our oil -- we make more we just sell it to china and we the consumer don't really get a better deal

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Because most of Canada's oil isn't practical.

"second largest oil reserve" doesn't address the fact that most of Canada's oil is tied up in expensive tar sands.

• 10 years ago

Because their oil is crap, its made from tar sands which is just like goo that has oil in it. Its hard to refine and transport as opposed to regular oil.

• taxes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.