Is it true that if u attend an out of state college next ur state u pay instate tuition?

I live in Tx and I heard that if u attend a state that touches TX, for example Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, that u can pay In-state tuition rather than out of state tuition for those states?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • CoachT
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sometimes. It depends on the particular schools as well as the major. It's not so much about bordering states either - it's about states that have agreements to do so with others.

For example - Texas is a member of the Southern Regional Education Board [ http://www.sreb.org/ ] and there are agreements as far away as Maryland and Delaware for you. It depends on majors though. Each of the states you mention (and more) except New Mexico is a member of the SREB.

Very often it's not an agreement by state but by bordering counties. For example, people who live in New Mexico and Louisiana counties bordering Texas can often get an in-state exception at UT. Some colleges in each of those states offer a similar reciprocity agreement. But this is "counties" bordering the state.

New Mexico allows part-time non-resident students to take six hours at many of their colleges and pay in-state tuition. [I'm taking advantage of that provision at Western New Mexico U right now]

All colleges/universities can offer an "out of state tuition waiver" to any student they'd like to. These usually come by getting support from a department or activity that would like to have you. Music and athletics use them a lot. It's worth asking about. What it means is that even though you're an out-of-state student, they let you pay in-state tuition.

The admissions office wherever you'd like to attend can tell you specifics about neighboring relationships like this too. You just need to ask because they won't usually remember to mention it.

Also remember that private college/universities don't have in-state and out-of-state tuition; everyone pays the same. It's usually the same as or less (after financial aid) than what you'd pay somewhere out-of-state rate.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Doubtful, as that would defeat the purpose and go against the name of in-state tuition. The reason why in-state tuition is cheaper is because they are public schools supported by taxes, which for education are run at a state-level. You would have to check the individual schools, but I highly doubt it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.