Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 9 years ago

What is the play Les Miserables about?

I watched the play on PBS and I thought it was a really amazing show. I also thought Nick Jonas did a fantastic job. But throughout the whole play I kept on wondering, "What is this play about?". So if anyone could tell me, that would be great.

Favorite Answer

Les Misérables (pronounced /leɪ ˈmɪzərɑːb/ or /leɪ ˌmɪzəˈrɑːb/; French pronunciation: [le mizeˈʁablə]), colloquially known as Les Mis or Les Miz /leɪ ˈmɪz/, is a musical composed in 1980 by French composer Claude-Michel Schönberg, with a French-language libretto by Alain Boublil.

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Misérables_(music...

The version aired on PBS is a concert version, they cut some songs and dialogues. That's why you can hardly understand the story. But the songs are amazing, right? :)

You should watch the 10th Anniversary Concert video of this show (Youtube). It's way more amazing than this 25th Anniversary that they aired on PBS.

• To be concise, the musical is based on the novel by Victor Hugo and is overall the story of the convict Jean Valjean and how his attempts to redeem himself affect the people around him. Valjean was arrested for stealing a bread to feed his starving family and served 19 years of hard labor on the chain gang. When he is released, he steals silver from a kind bishop who gave her a place to stay for the night. When he is caught, the bishop took pity on him and gave him the silver as a gift, telling him that he must use it to become an honest man. He then becomes the mayor of a small village and is extremely rich. He accidentally wrongs a woman by letting his foreman fire her from the factory, and he takes in her young daughter Cosette after her death. The rest of the play is about how he and Cosette escape capture by the inspector, Javert, who is intent on returning Valjean to prison for breaking his parole. Along the way, she falls in love with a revolutionary, Marius Pontmercy, who is a member of the Friends of the ABC (a student group). They begin a revolt against the king, and during that night the fates of most of the characters are decided. That's basically a summary, but you would be good to look up the story in further detail and read the book (which is a great read if you can get through all 1200 pages of it). The 10th anniversary concert is much better than the one they recently played on PBS. Look it up too, and you may enjoy seeing it on stage. Les Miz is on tour in the US right now:)

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the play Les Miserables about?

Source(s): play les miserables about: https://shortly.im/UQ3lW
  • Wanda

In it, Anne Hathaway embarks on a journey to find Dorothy the Dinosaur since a amateur magician Wally the Great, steals Greg's magic wand in order to become a better magician. Meanwhile, Dorothy is sad because she thinks that Anne and everyone have forgotten her birthday, while in fact they're all planning a surprise party for her by performing at a circus tent that night.

I could type somethign up, but this site does the story justice: http://www.theatre-musical.com/lesmis/esynopsis.ht...

I was a little wary about Nick Jonas playing alongside classically trained performers, but I thought he did okay. It definitely could have been worse.