my ex got fired and so she is going for more child support, what happens when she gets another job?

we have 50/50 custody, she got fired, now is taking me for more child support. she will get more because she has no income now. so what about when she gets a job? i thought that you could only modify child support amounts every 33 months, am i really stuck paying her more even if she gets a job in the next 33 months? doesn't seem right. anyone have any info? im in WI.

on a side note, she thinks i have to pay half of a car and auto insurance for our 16 year old, i told her i can't afford it. she seems to think i legally will have to? isn't that a luxery, not a necesitty? will a judge really make me pay half of that? and she thinks sh can go on shopping sprees and send me a bill for half, i am a smarter shoper and shop during sales. can she really make me pay her like that?

i wish you all were right, but what she does make matters, when it is split custody. they do a bunch of math crap to even out the incomes so the kids don't go from one income to another. the more she makes the less i pay. for example when we divorced she was working full time, so i only had to pay her $29 a week for 2 kids!! but now she has no income so my payments will go up. just wonderin how she can get away with that?

Favorite Answer

What she is doing is trying to get a modification based on a change in her income. She has the right to do that. So do you. What you need to do is make sure she did not quit her job. If she did, the request may be denied. When she finds a job, you have the right to request a downward modification based on an increase in her income. I suggest you look up the rules of your state or get a lawyer. good luck.

• mejaki

Child support is based on a percentage of your income, not hers. The only way the support could be increased would be if you two had an agreement in place, and you're not currently paying the amount set forth in law in your state. As for the car and insurance, and your ex's shopping habits, you're correct. You're not legally obligated to chip in for any of that.

With NO visible means of support, maybe you'll get 100% custody. Seek the help of a local Father's rights group or FOCUS (for our children and us) free paralegal advice.

Edit $29 a week for two kids, where do you live......how much did you two earn together, that is less then poverty level, where you living on food stamps and unemployment/welfare. This now sounds very UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

Unless YOUR income has increased she simply can't get more child support. What you pay is based on YOUR income, not hers.

what she makes doesn't have shlt to do with what you have to pay.