Do I need a marine surveyor?

Looking at buying a 1995 Mariah z272 Barchetta. Owner asking $14900. I don't know if I should hire a mechanic or a marine surveyor. I have been doing my research and I think I know what to look for but not sure if I still need to spend $350 for a surveyor. Seems like a lot of money for an inspection. I am leaning toward hiring a mechanic to inspect the motor/systems and perform a compression test to save money. Do you think spending the $350 is worth it for a surveyor? Anybody bought a similar size/style boat that has used a marine surveyor? Anybody that hasn't used one and can offer an opinion? Any info is much appreciated!

Favorite Answer

suggest that you hire both a marine surveyor and a marine mechanic before you spend $15,000 on a used boat. the survey and mechanic's report will be valuable to you in helping you to make a buying decision. if repairs are needed then you may be able to reduce the sale price to reflect the costs of repair.

the survey and mech. report will also help to determine the real value of the boat and may save you a lot of $$$$ in repairs.

here is a link to the mariah boat owners web site for more info

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/

hope this helps

Source(s): old salt

By all means hire a surveyor for a 16 year old boat...I would very strongly suggest that you also have a mobile marine mechanic go on a water test in this boat.....If it costs you a grand for these two opinions it is well worth it..boats are not as reliable as cars...corrosion from moisture and time affects everything in a boat....Boat parts and repairs are about 3 times more expensive than automotive repairs..and...boats are at least 5 times less reliable than cars...These repair situations are even more exaggerated with salt water use.......Trust me on this one...i have a lot of experience in this area.......I have seen 15 grand boats that need 10 grand in hidden repairs.......I could make a list of 30 or 40 items that commonly go wrong in boats 3 to 5 years old old .....Rod Fenton.....Boat Club of Fort Myers

Source(s): Direct experience

It's a tossup. you will find lenders and insurance companies will ask for a survey, but they are not absolutely necessary. I'm financed by the prior owner, and I insured for less than $25K So the insurance didn't demand it. Mechanic will check the engines, surveyors are often noncommittal about equipment and engines, They might say something like, "no in the water test where made" giving them wiggle room should something crop-up.

NEED one? no but consider this..Ive been buying and selling cars/trucks for 40 years,,i just bought a 2004 chevy truck only 100k great price,,clean car faxran perfect.....didnt have it a week when trouble,,,bad cam/valve problem....put in a new/used engine...only 3500 dllars,,,wish my mechanic had looked before i bought it... thats all i know