read
Lv 4
read asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 9 years ago

what do you think of the spelling Joi instead of Joy for a girl?

Update:

people use Y for I spelling all the time so how are you coming up with Joey?

even text to speech program says Joi just like Joy.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Joi is a perfectly legitimate spelling of Joy, and I've seen it used as a middle name before when a girl applied for a summer job. It does not look like Joey to me at all.

• MNH
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

my friends daughter is named Josephine and they call her Joi for short said like Joey. I understand that its not correct to say it Joey but you have to consider what most people will say because thats what your daughter will have to deal with her whole life. Also the species of fish is Koi not Joi but it does look similar. I dont care for the spelling Joi and dont think you should give your daughter the hassle of misspellings and mispronunciations for no reason. Its one letter different just spell it the normal way. Take it from me, a person with an odd spelled name, its very very annoying.

• 9 years ago

Joi looks like a name of a fish.

• 9 years ago

Honestly?

I think spelling it Joi would be ridiculous.

Joy isn't just a name, it's a word, so spelling Joy as 'Joi' would just make the person look illiterate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Joi looks Japanese, and looks like it would be a species of fish. Joy looks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much bettter. even though i personally despise the name Joy.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Misspelling a nice name does not make it cute or original, it just makes the parent look illiterate. And the kid would be correcting people for her WHOLE life. Not such a 'joi', I'm sure.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think Joy is better.

• Dee
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

My grandma named her cat "Joi"...He is a male and his name is pronounced Joey which is how I see it too.

• 9 years ago

NO! I don't like it, I do not like when people miss spell BEAUTIFUL names or any name at all the child will be correcting people all of their life! I don't like when people use Y or an I it looks dumb that way to just keep the spelling how it is supposed to be!

• Marie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I really dislike like it spelled with an I. But I think it is nice just the way it is orginally.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.