Poor appetite or mental issue?

I have a certain issue that I think might be related to a mental health problem. The issue is that I lose my appetite very easily because of things that other people seem not to care about. For example, if someone leaves a mug or plate that she has used in the room that I am going to eat, I have to ask them to... show more I have a certain issue that I think might be related to a mental health problem. The issue is that I lose my appetite very easily because of things that other people seem not to care about.

For example, if someone leaves a mug or plate that she has used in the room that I am going to eat, I have to ask them to remove it before I eat. Also, I can’t eat while someone is in the bathroom (or within five minutes after they’ve used it), even though the bathroom is on a different level of the house. I can’t eat if there are people with bare feet around me either. I can’t eat if there are other people around me, so I have to eat in a separate room. I can’t eat anything that anyone else has touched. I can’t eat if someone is asleep in the same house. I can’t use dinnerware that other people have used, so I use paper plates and have my own cups and utensils that I use. I can’t eat if the television is on, because I will almost certainly see something that will make me lose my appetite.

Today, in the laundry room, I found a personal item belonging to my mother that made me completely lose my appetite. Even though it’s in a completely different part of the house, I just haven’t been able to eat anything because of it. Unlike cups and things, I can’t ask my mother to remove it, because it’s the sort of thing that would be very embarrassing if she knew I saw it. So, I’ve been pretending I hadn’t seen it, and waiting for my mother to realise she has left this item out in the open and remove it. So far, she hasn’t been in the laundry room, so she hasn’t noticed. I have therefore gone all day without eating or drinking anything (it’s 9:45pm now), and I’m beginning to get very hungry. I can’t concentrate on any of the things I need to do (because I’m so hungry), so I’ve basically lost a day due to this.

So, I have two questions. First, do you think this is a mental health issue, or is my appetite just more fragile than most? Second, how do I deal with the current situation so I can eat something and get on with my life?
1 answer 1