What to do with German exchange student?

I'm 16 and a junior in High school, next month my family is hosting an exchange student from Germany. I live in Salt Lake City, what are some thing my family I should take him to?

We are going to a Jazz game and I know there is a pizza party planned at a local pizza place? What do German teens do for fun? And how different will it be here?

Thanks in advanced

• April
    Favorite Answer

I'm German/American. Most Germans have to take English in school, so I'm sure you won't have a problem communicating. When it comes to what this student's life is like, compared to yours depends on whether he is from the country or city. German teens are usual very sociable & love to party. A lot of them do enjoy Jazz music, so he'll probably like that. When my cousins come for visits they love to do things that they don't get to do in Germany. We live by the ocean, so they really love that. Most love to swim & go camping. They also like to see sports, like baseball & football. Their bowling is different than ours, so they have fun doing that too. Pizza is great; theirs tastes different than ours. They like our ice cream too. German schools are very advanced, so he will probably catch on quite fast. I'm sure that this will be a nice experience for all of you. Have fun!

• Orla C

He'll probably enjoy the pizza, it's a popular dish in Germany also. You might be a bit surprised at some of the things they put on their pizza, incidentally. Be open-minded!

German teens do pretty much the same things as every other Westernised teenagers, they play sports, use Facebook, go to the cinema, etc.

I suggest NOT going to the cinema for the first couple of weeks, because it's going to be quite an adjustment for him/her to get used to hearing English all the time, and this is exhausting - you'll find the same when you go to Germany. It might be an idea to get DVDs instead, and watch films with subtitles switched on, English is definitely available on most DVDs (for the hard of hearing) and German is often available.

I have been a host parent for 4 students. From Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Norway. In all but one, they have researched the area and have a good idea what they want to see. But the biggest thing is to see what kids in Salt Lake City do. They will make their own friends, and just let them hang with you and your friends. Other people will invite them places. Concerts, ballgames, just try to let them experience as much as they can while they are here.

Go as much as them and speak to them dude and get to grasp them given that German ladies are plenty of a laugh and fairly freaky in mattress. I simplest realize this given that my ex used to be German lol have a laugh!

Anything involving beer or booze, and I'm sure it'll be fine.