Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Why doesnt the jehovah witness RELIGION believe Jesus is God?

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE ANSWERING

Only God is our Savior (Isa 43:11)

Jesus is our Savior (Tit 2:13; 2 Pet 1:1)

God is our only Rock (Isa 44:8, Ps 18:2, 94:22)

Jesus is our Rock (1 Cor. 10:4)

Only God can forgive sins (Luke 5:21)

Jesus forgives sins (Luke 5:20)

God is our owner (Isa. 54:5)

Jesus is our only owner (Jude 4)

God is the horn of salvation (2 Sam 22:3)

Jesus is the horn of salvation (Luke 1:68-69)

Paul is a slave of God (Tit 1:1)

Paul is a slave of Jesus (Rom 1:1)

No man can slave for two masters (Mat 6:24)

God is the King of Israel (Isa 44:6)

Jesus is the King of Israel (Mat. 27:42, John 1:49)

God is a stone of offense and a stumbling block (Isa 8:14)

Jesus is a stone of offense and a stumbling block (1 Pet 2:8)

God was valued at 30 pieces of silver (Zech 11:12-13)

Jesus was valued at 30 pieces of silver (Mat 26:14-16)

To God, every knee will bow and tongue confess (Isa 45:22-23)

To Jesus, every knee will bow and tongue confess (Phil 2:10-11)

9Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip?(A) Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Do you not believe that(B) I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you(C) I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11Believe me that(D) I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else(E) believe on account of the works themselves.(John 14;9-11)

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,"(Matt 28:19)

In this scripture the word name is in singular form which means its talking about one person. The only way you can deny this is if you admit that there is a mistake in the bible. Otherwise what christians say is true and they are one. Its your choice, im just giving scriptures. God does not make mistakes, he knows what he is doing.

@ John. When it says satan is the God of this world, that doesnt sound like a true God? The true God is in heaven. Also when Jesus says get behind me satan, he was talking to the spirit that he took on not to the actual person.

1. When it says Jesus it is talking about the fleshly human jesus. It was referring to the human side of jesus, not the spiritual.

2. Jesus says the Father is greater. Greater and better are too different words look it up.

3. It can be hard too understand the word without God opening your mine too understand it. This was illustrated when Jesus returned from the dead and his disciples didn't notice it was him. but then it says god opened their minds so they could understand the scriptures. Do you think that Jesus and God can't be one person because its impossible for humans to comprehend how two things can be one. There are lots of things in heaven that we can not yet comprehend.

4.) Read 3

5.)Read 3

6.) Jesus died from his flesh, not his spirit. Your fle

4.) Read 3

5.)Read 3

6.) Jesus died from his flesh, not his spirit. Your flesh is

6.) Jesus died from his flesh, not his spirit. Your flesh is not life, your spirit represents life. Wherever God is their is life and wherever he is not(Hell) there is no life(death)

7.) read 3

8.) Yes

You can study the bible all you want and lean on your own understanding, but until God opens your mind for you to understand you will not be able to understand the scripture to the fullest.The bible also says do not lean on your own understanding. That is why Jesus sent the holy spirit, to guide us.

Favorite Answer

Greetings,

You have cited several standard verses which Trinitarians believe show that Jesus was Almighty God. The trouble with every Trinitarian "proof text" is that they require an ignorance of Bible words, context and grammar, and requires that an interpretation be "read into" them which contradicts the context of Biblical teaching regarding God and Christ. The verses in this question demonstrate this fact and have repeatedly been proved to be invalid even on this forum.

1. First, it is unscriptural and logically fallacious to claim that because God is our “savior” and Christ is our savior it must mean that they are the same God or equal. You demand that your hearers be ignorant of the fact that the Bible explicitly shows that others are properly be called "saviors." Jehovah himself states that He personally sent others as "saviors"! (Jg 3:9,15; 2Kngs 13:5; Neh.9:27; Isa.19:20). Were these saviors also God? Were these false saviors? Of course not!

Jehovah used his representatives to save his people, but He alone was the Source and Originator of salvation! So any who act as savior are the *agents* God uses. God sent Jesus to save mankind as His greatest representative, but Jehovah is THE Savior. Christ is God's foremost *agent* for salvation as Jude 25 makes clear: "to [the] only God our Savior _*through*_ Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, might and authority for all eternity." NIV, NJB

Every title or position that Jesus has was *given* to him by a higher power, his father and God Jehovah (Mt.28:18; 11:27; Jn. 5:22; 3:35). Even the title "savior" was a position that Jesus had to be *EXALTED* to by God (Acts 5:31; Jn.17:2).

Even Christ looked to Jehovah--his God and Father--as his own savior (Heb.5:7, Jn.12:27).

Your number 7 is just similarly illogical: When King David is called "King of Israel" does this make him God? Is the Trinity made up of Jehovah, Jesus and David since they ALL are called King of Israel? Oh wait, there were DOZENS called “King of Israel” so the Trinity need to be renamed because there are dozens of “persons” within it!!

This kind of illogical thinking is the height of eisegesis and yet is exactly what EVERY Trinitarian argument is based on.

Clearly, many individuals can share a description or title in different ways and degrees. When these share the same titles as the Son of God and Jehovah Himself, it does not mean that they are the same or equal to God. Obviously, these titles are not being used equivalently when applied to both humans and Jehovah.

Your 3 interpretation also demands that we have an ignorance of the Scriptures. Just because God and Jesus both forgive sin does not make them equal or the same God.

Jesus gave his apostles the authority to forgive sins and all Christians are commanded to forgive sins committed against them (Jn 20:23; Mt 6:14; 18:21,35; Mk 11:25; Lk 17:3, 4; 2 Cor 2:7).

Jesus can forgive sins only because he received this authority from God (Mt. 9:6-7; 28:18; Jn.5:22,27; Acts 5:31; 17:31). The authority to forgive sins does not mean Jesus is God any more than humans are God just because they have the same authority. It just means they are representatives of God, while ultimately God is the only one who can *absolutely* forgive sin.

Finally, your response to John is simply more of your warped Trinitarian eisegesis and misdirection. For example when Jesus says “the Father is greater than I am” you state that “Greater and better are too different words look it up.” First, your response does not change the fact that “greater” still means that Jesus could NOT be equal to God. Second, you must again ignore or twist the meaning of this word.

Christ’s words at Jn.14:28 was an explicit declaration that God was more powerful than he. The Fourth Gospel, by Sir Edwin C. Hoskyns says: "In the Fourth Gospel the phrase ‘greater than' means of greater power and authority than (Jn.4:12; 8:53; 10: 29; 13: 16; cf. 1 John 3: 20)." This can be seen in the definitions of Thayer's and the B-A-G lexicons: “Greek 'meizon,' meaning "*to surpass others.....in power and nature*" (Thayer's pg. 395)

Unlike Trinitarians, Witnesses do not have to force a later meaning into the Scriptures to support their beliefs. We accept the clear contextual evidence and the explicit statements of Scripture. Everywhere in the Bible God is separate and distinct from Christ.

Every explicit scripture shows that at every point of his existence Jesus has a God over him and he was less than Almighty God (Mic.5:2-4; Jn. 14:28; 20:17; Mk.13:32; Rom.15:6; Rev.3:2,12). At the highest position he will ever attain, Jesus is still "subject" to *GOD* the same way we are "subject" to him (1Cor.15:27,28).

The only way someone can believe that Jesus is Almighty God is to ignore the clear, explicit statements of God’s Word and accept incorrect interpretations based on ignorance of the facts.

Yours,

BAR-ANERGES

Source(s): For my response to some of your other misinterpretation: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjXA9...

Because He is not. The Hebrew Scriptures are consistently clear in showing that there is but one Almighty God, the Creator of all things and the Most High, whose name is Jehovah. (Ge 17:1; Isa 45:18; Ps 83:18) For that reason Moses could say to the nation of Israel: “Jehovah our God is one Jehovah. And you must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your vital force.” (De 6:4, 5) The Christian Greek Scriptures do not contradict this teaching that had been accepted and believed by God’s servants for thousands of years, but instead they support it. (Mr 12:29; Ro 3:29, 30; 1Co 8:6; Eph 4:4-6; 1Ti 2:5) Jesus Christ himself said, “The Father is greater than I am” and referred to the Father as his God, “the only true God.” (Joh 14:28; 17:3; 20:17; Mr 15:34; Re 1:1; 3:12) On numerous occasions Jesus expressed his inferiority and subordination to his Father. (Mt 4:9, 10; 20:23; Lu 22:41, 42; Joh 5:19; 8:42; 13:16) Even after Jesus’ ascension into heaven his apostles continued to present the same picture.—1Co 11:3; 15:20, 24-28; 1Pe 1:3; 1Jo 2:1; 4:9, 10.

• yep!

Because God's word does not teach such a thing.

God said Jesus was his Son, like at Matthew 3:17.

Jesus said he was God's Son throughout the Gospel accounts of his life! He was known for saying he was God's Son as Matthew 27:43 says.

Jesus disciples said Jesus was God's Son, like at Matthew 16:13-17.

God said it, Jesus said it, Jesus disciples said it, others said it in the Scriptures.

So somebody's lying!!

We Jehovah's Witnesses believe what God and Jesus Christ have said.

Jesus even said at John 20:17, that he has........a God!

Source(s): God's Word the Bible

The below verse explains that Jesus is God

1 Timothy 3:16 (King James Version)

16And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Source(s): King James Holy bible

The first thing I would like everyone to reflect on is John 10:34 where Jesus makes reference to the "you are gods"quotation from Psalms. The question you should ask yourself is that if Jesus saw himself as a mere human, as some have said, why did the Jews, who understood scripture better than any of us here call him a blasphemer and picked stones to kill him? Food for thought...

• CF

In the name of the law. What does that mean? With the authority of the law. The law doesn´t have a proper name like John or Paul. That´s the meaning in the Scriptures in Matthew 28.

God has a name. His name is Jehovah. it appear about 7,000 times in the Bible:

Psalm 83:18:

That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,

You alone are the Most High over all the earth.

Jesus has a name, i don´t need to show you that, right? And the holy spirit is not a person; it is God´s active force. Therefore there is nobody in the Bible called "Holy Spirit." It is an impersonal force.

John 7:38, 39:

He who believes in me, as the Scripture has said, from within him will flow rivers of living water." But he said this about the Spirit, which those believing in him were to receive. For the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus wasn't yet glorified.

As you could see from above, the Bible compares the holy spirit to "rivers of living water," and not to a person.

Source(s): Bible
  • X

It's very simple: the Bible DOES NOT teach that Jesus is God.

The Bible teaches that God is the one who created Jesus or brought him into existence, and logically, that means that Jesus CANNOT be God, if God is the who who created him. (Revelation 3:14, Colossians 1:15).

You can continue to take scriptures out of context, and pretzel-twist them so that they fit what you only WISH they said or meant, but the truth of the scriptures remains consistent: Jesus is NOT God. He never has been and never will be. Jesus himself openly stated that he has a God that he worships.

If you should ever feel that you can humble yourself and admit that what you believe about Jesus being God is completely contrary to the Bible, let us know and we can help you come to appreciate the truth of the scriptures in that regard.

Breakdown of TJ's answer:

Matthew 8:5 says a centurion came to Jesus.

Luke 7:2 says it was the centurion's servant.

Is this a contradiction? No, for the centurion's servant represented the centurion.

Jesus represents his God and Father, and per Rev. 3:12 and John 20:17 has a God and Father now.

• Mindy

With regard to your statement @ "John", you stated to him in part and I quote:

"@ John. When it says satan is the God of this world, that doesnt sound like a true God? The true God is in heaven."

Okay Drew, so then what about Jesus Christ? Was he THE Almighty God Himself...

OR...

As THE BIBLE shows and reveals at John 1:1, was he "a" god?

*Gasp*

What do I mean by John 1:1 you say? Surely I must be mentally diseased or something! How the heck can I possibly know what I'm talking about when there are Bible translations (such as the King James Version Bible) which translate John 1:1 in the following manner:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

~ John 1:1 (King James Version)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2...

Ah Ha! See there! You must be thinking along the lines of; "Yep, THERE IT IS just as plain as day you dim witted dame! John says that 'The Word' (Jesus in his pre-human existence) WAS GOD! What's wrong with you spiritually blind Jehovah's Witnesses?!".

Is that about right "Drew" in regards to your thinking about me and my people?

Well, before you go and pat yourself on the back, allow me to ask you something. Were YOU aware that there are NUMEROUS other reliable Bible translations which translate John 1:1 in the manner that our 'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures' does in showing that "the Word was a god"(or something very similiar)?

Keep in mind that these many other reliable Bible translations WERE NOT published or produced by The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society whatsoever.

What Bible translations do I mean?

Why these for starters... and I quote:

# 1)

1808: "and the word was a god."

The New Testament in an Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome's New Translation: With a Corrected Text.

# 2)

1864: "and a god was the word."

The Emphatic Diaglott, interlinear reading, by Benjamin Wilson.

# 3)

1928: "and the Word was a divine being."

La Bible du Centenaire, L'Evangile selon Jean, by Maurice Goguel.

# 4)

1934: "the Logos was divine."

A New Translation of the Bible, by James Moffatt

# 5)

1935: "and the Word was divine."

The Bible—An American Translation, by J. M. P. Smith and E. J. Goodspeed.

# 6)

1946: "and of a divine kind was the Word."

Das Neue Testament, by Ludwig Thimme.

# 7)

1958: "and the Word was a God."

The New Testament, by James L. Tomanek.

# 8)

1975: "and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word."

Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Siegfried Schulz.

# 9)

1978: "and godlike kind was the Logos."

Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider.

What? Do ya think I made up those Scripture translations "Drew"? That I kinda pulled them out of some sort of imaginary magic hat (http://tinyurl.com/4memb2y )?

Nope. Those Bible translations are REAL "Drew", you should investigate them for yourself... I have.

Moooving on. As you can see for yourself "Drew" the oldest Bible translation I have posted thus far that translates John 1:1 as showing that Jesus WAS NOT "THE" God with whom he was WITH, was from the year 1808 (approxiamately 203 years before now / "2011").

Based on the present date now (2011), the King James Version of 1611 Bible translation is approximately 400 years old and 197 years older than 'The New Testament in an Improved Version, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcome's New Translation: With a Corrected Text'.

Okay cool, so what, it doesn't change the FACT that there ARE other reliable Bible translations besides the 'New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures' which translate John 1:1 as showing that 'The Word' WAS NOT "THE" God whom he was WITH.

But here's something that YOU (and apparently MANY other people) may not be aware of "Drew".

Did you know and realize that there is a Bible translation that was made 1,700 years BEFORE the New World Translation (waaaaaay older than the King James Version and most any other modern Bible translations)? This ancient Bible translation WAS NOT made by Jehovah's Witnesses, however, like our NWT (and many of the other reliable Bible translations I posted) it also recognized that the Greek really said "the Word was a god"!

Did you know that "Drew"? Probably not.... But Jehovah's Witnesses and MANY others DO KNOW "Drew".

Source(s): Wanna see the ancient Bible translation for yourself? Well here it is: http://tinyurl.com/4wgfgbm For a nice video on this important FACT, feel free to review the following 3 minute 17 second educational VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdMV3PIEUco Now, now "Drew", trust me, I was once a Italian Roman Catholic, however, I had to come to the realization that the Trinity was just totally BOGUS and false. It took time to swallow and get over that I was WRONG, my Priest's were WRONG and my family had been WRONG, but these people also had me believing at one time that Santa Claus was REAL and I got over that too. You NEED to take in ACCURATE knowledge "Drew". Jesus IS NOT "THE" Almighty God and I'm not sorry to disappoint you with Truth. 'Should You Believe in the Trinity?': http://tinyurl.com/4jqflym EDIT: Awesome points by "TJ" and "jimspace3000"! Consequently, what they stated helps to reveal what is meant at Matthew 1:23 Ciao
  • Jamie

Go back and read your question, and something may jump out at you. Want to know what it is? Here is the answer:

Not one single verse you posted proves Jesus is God directly. You are simply making inferences. I could do the same thing with something else, which you know isn't true.

For example, Paul says Satan is the God of this world, yet the bible says there is only 1 true god. By your logic, satan must be god.

Also, Jesus turns to peter and said, "Get behind me Satan." So Peter must be satan, since Jesus called him that.

See, we can go on and on and on and post silly little things like you posted. But it doesn't prove anything at all, except that you made a faulty connection.

Now, let's consider all of the TONS of verses which quite clearly show Jesus is NOT God:

1. Jesus doesn't know end times, yet God knows all things.

2. Jesus says the father is greater.

3. Jesus sits at the fathers right hand.

4. Jesus prays to God. So if God=Jesus, Holy Spirit, Father, then Jesus was praying to himself.

5. Jesus gets a scroll from God in Revelation. Pretty odd if they are the same.

6. Jesus died (God cannot die).

7 Jesus said he would ascend to His God, God has no god, and even swore by himself in the OT because of this.

8. Do I really need to go further?

I am a non-denom Christian (not a JW, Muslim, or Mormom). But I am good at logic, read the bible extensively, and have studied this topic for years. Jesus is the Son of God, Messiah, and Christ. But he ain't THE GOD.

==========================

EDIT:

You said: "Do you think that Jesus and God can't be one person because its impossible for humans to comprehend how two things can be one. There are lots of things in heaven that we can not yet comprehend."

What? The trinit teaches they are separate persons, yet 1 god. Now you are saying they are 1 person. Which is it?

You said: "You can study the bible all you want and lean on your own understanding, but until God opens your mind for you to understand you will not be able to understand the scripture to the fullest.The bible also says do not lean on your own understanding. That is why Jesus sent the holy spirit, to guide us."

I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. You believe Jesus is God...why? Oh, let me guess. Because your pastor/ministor/priest or whatever preaches this every sunday, right? Not because the Holy Spirit flows through your veins and teaches you all things. If you had went to a JW church, or another, then you would believe something different, and you know I am right.

The fact of the matter is, when the early apostles died, there were many varying beliefs among the different christian churches. It wasn't until a few hundred years later, that the corrupt catholics decided to make Jesus God. When you do that, all sorts of quirky doctrines follow.

For example, since Jesus is God, then Mary must be the mother of God. Wow. See how silly this is.

The catholics were a great apostacy, and all sorts of evils and false doctrines came out of the church. They didn't let people access the scriptures. They sold pamphlets and scrolls so you could get "sin forgiveness."

If you don't believe in those things, then why believe in the other false doctrines. You have not done 1 single thing to prove Jesus is God. That is a pretty big deal, and I would expect the bible to be crystal clear on this (like it is about him being the messiah) if it were true.

The bible plainly states several times about all of Jesus attributes, and never is the case made that he is God. In fact, the best evidence is Jesus himself. He never tries to prove that He is God. The only verse you have that comes close is the "my father and I are one," and "I AM." Both of those are nonsense if you read the original manuscripts, and see what Jesus is really trying to say.

Source(s): If you want to risk your soul in believing Jesus is God, or is Equal to God, be my guest. But I guess you will have to blatantly ignore all of the TONS of verses which prove WITHOUT A DOUBT that Jesus is less than God. 1. Jesus gets authority from god. God needs no authority. 2. Jesus inherits the world. How can you inherit something you already own (God owns it). 3. God says, "This is my son, listen to him." Why not say, "This is me in human form, listen to me." See, the whole wording in the whole bible (on every single page) is proof against Jesus being God. Sheesh. I don't understand how you people get duped into this. Read the scriptures, use logic, divide truth from false (which is what the scriptures command).
  • This wall of text is just a rant.

You are not asking a question, you are putting forth your own answers and your own interpretations.

Jehovah's Witnesses don't believe that Jesus is God because there is only one true God, and Jesus said that the only true God was his Father. (John 17:3)

What Jesus said is clear and trumps all the personal (mis)interpretations that you list.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible