Electro-Mechanical engineering?

Hello people,

My passion is boundless for science and technology. I have made my decisions to acquire a degree in Mechanical Engineering. My overall aim is to become a BMW certified mechanic, as I adore automobiles in general and BMW's in specific. Nowadays, very few parts on any modern car are operated mechanically, so I have to have a fair amount of knowledge in the electronic field.

How do I go about it? Should I go for B.Sc in ME and maybe a master degree in Electronic Engineering? What are some of the differences between a bachelor and a master degree in general? I heard about Mechatronic Engineering, has anyone gone through it? What does a Mechanical Engineer graduate Know that a Mechatronic Engineering graduate doesn't know?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure you're using the right word here. A "mechanic" requires an associates degree, not a BS or MS. Are you interested on designing and testing cars, or repairing them?

BMW has both Electrical and Mechanical engineers to work on different parts of the vehicle. It can't hurt to have knowledge in both, but what I would suggest is decide what exactly on the car you want to work on first.

For instance, most of the EE work will be control systems. Sensors that feedback to the breaks, climate control systems. Radar that detect cars in your blind spots and while backing up.

However, there is still a lot of traditional MechE work. Better suspension systems, breaks, safety features, engines and safety features.

So, unless you want to do serious control systems engineering, I would suggest majoring in MechE and take a few courses in Electrical (Circuits, Electronics, Feedback) so that you can talk with the EEs on your team.

Source(s): Electrical Engineer
  • ?

Others may have a different view, but...

I am an Electrical Engineer (electronics - radio, computer, etc.).

In my experience and talking with others, in my areas, the EEs were primary and the Mechanical Engineers were more like secondary, but that can't be taken too harshly. I have also heard that the reverse is true in the automotive industry.

Yes, knowledge of both areas will make you more valuable and better able to do the required design. If you understand the "other" area and its limits and capabilities, then your part will better use the other parts

i assume that an electro-mechanical engineer designs motor controllers; quite, controllers for electric powered autos (and, likely, digital controllers). It in all possibility includes some robotics courses additionally. many times mechanical engineers do no longer take many electric powered circuits instructions, nor do they take many digital good judgment or programming instructions. in case you like extra information, then I advise which you get a course catalog out of your college, and seem on the pronounced courses for each considerable.