Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Is North Carolina becoming a lot more liberal than rest of South?

Its last 4 governors have been Democratic and they have shown a trend to hire more Democrats.

It also seems that there are alot of cities in NC that are considered to be liberal like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Chapel Hill whereas in most southern states only the major city is considered be the liberal and the surrounding areas are usually conservative.

The Raleigh area in particular seems to be attracting alot of young engineers and scientists from the North because of theTriangle Research Park.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

North Carolina truly is "the north of the south."

What I mean by that is that there's more culture, education, left-wing people, and non-bible thumpers than in other southern states.

Virginia also has a very liberal area: Northern Virginia near DC.

Just like any southern area, the level of sophistication goes flying out the window when you leave the city and go to the rural areas, so if you are looking for a liberal area, make sure to stick to the cities.

Here's a little character of the city break down:

Asheville - Good for musicians and hippies

Greensboro - Good for Students and Hipsters

Charlotte- Good for people with lots of money or aspirations to make lots of money (banking town)

Chapel Hill - You BETTER freaking LOVE UNC if you want to move to Chapel Hill.

Raleigh Durham - Good for the creative class, science types, and gay/lesbian types.

Source(s): Grew up in Pennsylvania Have lived in Greensboro the past 11 years.
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is North Carolina becoming a lot more liberal than rest of South?

Its last 4 governors have been Democratic and they have shown a trend to hire more Democrats.

It also seems that there are alot of cities in NC that are considered to be liberal like Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Chapel Hill whereas in most southern states only the major city is considered...

Source(s): north carolina lot liberal rest south: https://tr.im/iL0Jx
  • Yvonne
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Well actually parts of Georgia is growing fast like North Carolina plus South Carolina is growing fast too. So I see them following North Carolina. Though truth be told Charlotte NC has lots of conservatives living there. Virginia may follow NC too. I mean Richmond and the northern parts are growing too.

• Sean
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Has been to a degree for awhile now. I've read that most of the northern liberals fleeing their broke states are going to North Carolina, possibly because of the southern states North Carolina would be more tolerant of them than most.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I don't know much about state politics, but I can say I live in Asheville and it's very liberal here. The "rest of the South" isn't super right-winged as people might think, though....

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Well it is simple when you think about it. Liberals have pretty much screwed up the states they currently occupy so bad, that they themselves can't even stand to live there. So they gotta go someplace. Then they'll screw that place up to. They're like locus, move into an area, destroy it, see it is a wasteland, move to greener pastures, repeat the process.

I remember when they New York and the north east for California (california use to be a right wing cowboy type state). Look what they did there. Then they fled California for Colorado, looks like North Carolina is next on the menu.

• Rayne
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

What a coincidence...I have relatives in Charlotte and Raleigh...They BOTH say that those cities are becoming more and more dangerous...It's interesting that you should point this out...Hmm

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The nation's 30 year shift to the right has reached its max and moving back towards sanity. The South used to be Democratic strongholds.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Thar's what happens when state taxes drive businesses out of the state causing higher unemployment. Then after a while, people get used to the government hand outs, lose the desire to work, and just want more free stuff at the tax payers expense.

• C
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

How many times can you post this?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.