Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 9 years ago

Good quality chef's knives?

My older brother is really into cooking. He has the shittiest knives ever and I thought he would really appreciate some new ones. I don't know anything about these things, and I don't think he does either.

But how much do you think a nice set of knives would cost?? I realize there must be a huge price range. I am looking for something less than $100. Any tips or ideas or anything??

Good brand names? Anything?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Visor
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

There are plenty of reputable brands, although, given your budget, I'd stay away from the set and make my own small set.

The problem with factory sets is that they have more than one knives with similar functoinality (e.g. santoku and chef's knife), or some super specific knives that will hardly ever be used.

As for the set itself, 3 knives that'd cover 99% of home cook cutting would be chef's knife(8-12"), small paring knife(3-4") and a serrated bread knife, which can easily server as a multipurpose knife too. You can add boning or slicer, depending on the type of meat you cook.

As for the brands, I figure you prefer western knives, so the best bang for the buck would be Vicrotinox Forschner kitchen knives. They're made out of the same steel used in considerably more expensive Henckels, and Wusthofs and a lot of other brands. Messermeister also stands out, a little better quality than competition, but a little more expensive too.

There's a lot more info about brands and other aspects of choosing kitchen knives covered here

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/articles/in...

Few quick tips to save you money while shopping for your knives:

Ignore the most common knife myths and marketing BS.

Forged vs. stamped - As knife marketing tells us good kitchen knives have to be forged, and have full bolster and tang. NONE of that is true. E.g. Stamped Globals are much better performers than most of the forged mainstream kitchen knives.

I bought Forged and stamped versions of the same chef's knife from Global, and I didn't get anything but extra weight and spent more money on forged knife.

Full tang - Another BS, Katana swords and bowie knives are not full tang, yet they can cut through armor and leather, so I really doubt you need more strength than that in the kitchen.

Bolsters make sense only on narrow boning knives to protect your hand from slippage, but on other wider knives blade choil area does the job, bolster just makes sharpening a nightmare.

Another good way to spot junk knives is the use of generic terms instead of specific steel, e.g. "stainless steel", surgical stainless, hardened superior stainless etc...

Source(s): 14+ years of knife collecting, sharpening and research.
  • 3 years ago

I love "civila's" reply even though I'm a cook dinner with very robust critiques, I like to learn solutions that tell. I am within the college that now not approves of units. Buy the specified exceptional of every distinctive utilization for the knife. My bread knife is a cheapo...My huge chef knife is an ancient 'Chicago' sharpens rapid...My favourite and such a lot used knife is my 6" Global - suits my hand (although a medium priced Soduku is opening to achieve flooring) and my new favourite paring knife is an cheap little silicon included man with a vibrant orange sheath...My cleaver is vintage...I've gotten rid of all of the different knives that have been cluttering up my drawers. But as a scholar you'll be desiring a collection and quickly so all this trial and mistake might be going down over the years...you'll be making an attempt knives purchased by way of different classmates and identifying headquartered on new enjoy...I might purchase a medium exceptional for your entire knives besides to your chef knife (or identical Soduku) and matching knives imply not anything (until you get a hefty reduction, of direction) A cool knife bag might be high-quality although (joking)

• 9 years ago

A good value are the Swiss made Forschner / Victorinox Fibrox knives. They are hardened steel-forged knives with a slip resistant handle that have antibiotic properties. The blades hold an edge really well and are reasonably priced on Amazon. You can buy a set, but a few good knives will do -like an 8" chefs knife, bread knife, paring knife and anything else you can afford.

• 9 years ago

I'm a big fan of J.A. Henckle and LamsonSharp. I've used both and they're great quality. Though you won't get a ton of knives for $100. The key is to choose knives that can perform multiple tasks so you don't have to make up for it by having more knives. I think in my kitchen I have about 8, including my set of steak knives.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Get a knife set with knives that have blades that are high-carbon steel.

I bought just a high-carbon steel chef's knife for less then $20, so I don't think a whole set would be too expensive.

• mark
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Don't get a set. Get individual knives. For 100, you could get one or two good knives. Perhaps a chefs knife and a paring knife.

I like Henckel or Sabatier brand

• 9 years ago

The only ones I can think of is cutco but it's over $800 for a set, however they have individual ones under 100

• 9 years ago

Get one knife of a good brand. Start with a Chef's knife. Try Williams-Sonoma.

• 9 years ago

No need to buy really expensive knives and if he's into cooking he knows one good knife is worth a dozen bad ones. I'd buy him a nice chef's knife. Here are some to look at:

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-International-Class...

http://www.amazon.com/Zayka-IMPULSE-Ceramic-Chefs-...

http://www.amazon.com/Tachi-Ceramic-Chefs-Knife-Cl...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.