Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Can I get help with a final critique of my custom desktop build?

I have a previous build that i posted with a LOT more info/background here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ahs1H...

after some great feedback from peter and C-Man (thanks again, guys), i went back over EVERYTHING.

quick summary of changes:

resolved a compatibility issue with the motherboard (CPU is LGA 1155 and the RAM memory was made for h67/p67, but the mobo was LGA 1156 & p55)

upgraded the video card and ssd

moved to a cheaper case

upgraded the hdd but cut capacity in half (the mobo has 4 sata II slots so i figure if i need more space i'll jus get some... right?)

here's what i'm considering:

processor (CPU) - Intel Core i5-2500K $219.99

(Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz -3.7GHz Turbo Boost- LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core)

motherboard - ASUS P8H67-M Evo $140.98

(mATX H67 LGA1155 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 PCI DP HDMI Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard)

memory (RAM) - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB $84.99

(2 x 4GB 240-Pin DIMM Memory SDRAM DDR3 1333 -PC3 10666- CL9-9-9-24)

primary hard drive - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB $116.99

(OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" SATA II MLC SSD)

secondary hard drive - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB $54.99

(3.5" 7200 RPM SATA II)

video card - XFX HD-567X-YNF3 $79.99

(Radeon HD 5670 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready with Eyefinity)

case - Coolermaster Elite 310 ATX Mid Tower $45.99

(Black W Silver Trim 4X5.25 6X3.5INT 1X3.5EXT No PSU Window)

power supply - Silverstone Strider Essential ST50F-ES $55.31

(500W Power Supply ATX 24PIN 120MM Fan 34A 80+ Black)

CPU cooling - GELID Solutions Tranquillo $39.99

(CC-TranQ-01-A 120mm Hydro Dynamic CPU Cooler)

network card - TRENDnet TEW-623PI $36.78

(32-Bit PCI Rev. 2.1/2.2/2.3 Wireless N-Draft Adapter)

sound card - integrated on the motherboard

sub-total - $876

monitor & keyboard - $135

TOTAL - $1011 ($966 after 2 mail-in rebates)

have i overlooked anything?

will i be able to have photoshop & illustrator cs5 open simultaniously with little to no problems?

will i be able to use this build for a few years without needing to upgrade too much?

i'm willing to add up to another $100 for any neccesary upgrade suggestions

again, thanks in advance!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

that video card is a little weak if you are a strong gamer, spend $150+ on a good video card. I prefer AMD as you get a 6 core for intel 4 core price and overclock it to out do the intel i5. But your video card is a bottleneck. And maybe 2 1TB drives instead of 1 2TB drive so you can do rain or backup software to keep your data safe

• 1 decade ago

(full disclosure: i asked the question...)

@Dave - i made sure to use the new B3 version of the motherboard. which (supposedly) has fixed the issues that prompted the last recall of sandy bridge mobo's. [see "source" sites below]

@Ralph - i'm not a strong COMPUTER gamer. mostly xbox 360, ps3, etc. i'll be doing mostly photo editing and general cs5 stuff. also, i chose one 1TB hdd with the possibility of another later if needed.

thnx guys

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You need a total rethink. Sandy bridge motherboards are defective. If you build with sandy bridge, you will have to wait several months for the defective boards to work through the system.

I'm serious, btw. All the sandy bridge motherboards should be recalled. But even if they aren't, it's not wise to build with one. Not right now anyway.

• 4 years ago

It seems all sturdy to me, the psu is great adequate, as long because of the fact the mobo and cpu have the comparable socket style they in good condition. extra desirable than 8 gigs of ram is wasted so nice there. SSD's are great, I fairly have one. Rosewill situations are great, purely make effective it has 2 followers a minimum of or 3 are extra suitable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.