Carmen
Carmen asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

How are 80's horror films different from today's horror films?

I'm doing a presentation on it, and I can't find much information online.

Also, what real fears did 80's horror films represent?

Favorite Answer

In the 80's, horror films were so much BETTER.

They played with your deepest, darkest fears, got inside your mind and had interesting, original storylines. Nowadays, it seems like film makers have run out of ideas for genuinely scary plots, and are trying to create scares by making things jump out at you and having lots of blood and gore. It's just not the same.

The 80's horror films didn't need that. They were fantastically scary and thrilling without all the fancy special effects. They really made you think, and they stayed with you a long time after you'd left the cinema. The Shining was made in 1980, and despite it now being 31 years old, it's one of my favourite horror films. Like most horror films of that decade, it did a brilliant job of creating an eerie, creepy atmosphere and kept you sitting at the edge of your seat.

Horror films don't seem to do that anymore... nearly all the Hollywood films these days are Slashers - mindless killers with knives chopping up innocent people for a whole two hours. Plus the acting is terrible, compared to the genuine fear you saw in actors of the 80's. Horror films have lost their originality.

Source(s): Myself - I'm a huge horror fan. ;)

80's horror seemed more real. The special effects didn't look that fake, and when it did all it did was add charm to the movie. Today, the special effects are too flashy. When a great special effect is used, it looks more fake because it goes "hey, look at me! I'm a special effect and I like to steal the show and take away all imagination from the audience's mind!" The 80's horror genre for the most part seemed more genuine and represented true fear. Some movies still do that today, and some did it before the 80's, but the 80's was my favorite decade for horror because the fear was genuine.

• Saul

I kind of agree with you. These days we can make things look a lot more realistic because we are so skilled with make-up and costumes, and special effects. But I think what people mean when they say movies are these days is: nothing is original anymore. Everything is so cliche these days...every horror plot usually starts out with college kids in the woods. And most stuff made these days is based off of originals where the initial ideas came from.

80s horror films were actually scary.

modern horror films are all about the gore.