Computer power supply replacement?

One morning, my PC simply wouldn't start up. I was told that this could only be the power supply. This system (HP Media center m1050y) has, if I'm correct, a 300 W power supply. With everything this unit has to support, 300W seems underpowered. Can I replace it with something a little beefier, say 5 or 600W, or is that too "Tim the tool man"? I'm female, by the way, so even if it's ok to get a larger Power supply, how would I know if it is compatible or am I forced to get the part from HP... it is no longer under warranty. Could sure use some help, here. If it could be something other than the power supply, what else might it be? Currently, my entire life is in a metal box in the middle of the floor flat-lining!

Appreciate any help!

• Jim
    Favorite Answer

>OK.

According to this, this is a replacement power supply for the one you have:

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-watt-power-sup...

It is only a 300 Watt psu, but the good news is that it is a standard ATX power supply and so you can easily put a 500 - 600 Watt psu into your computer. You should note that this is the older MOLEX adpater power supply - the MOLEX is the 5 pin adapter you plug into your hard disk, for example. So whatever supply you do buy, make sure it has MOLEX connectors. Since the referenced power supply above has a 20+4 pin MAINS connector (in the picture, below the box, are pictures of the connectors, the 20+4 is the furthest to the left and the IDE4Pins connector is the MOLEX type I am talkng about. In this model, they ahve both MOLEX and SATA connectors, so you may have either kind of hard disk in your computer (the IDE hard disk type is MOLEX and the SATA hard disk type is the SATA connector which is at the far right in the picture).

Being a woman has NOTHING to do with the ability to replace your power supply yourself, if you know how to use a phillips head screw driver and some common sense.

The important part will be to make sure you are disconnected from the wall outlet, and that you ground yourself entirely by placing the flat palm of your hand on the unpainted chassis before touching the components - this grounds any static electricity in your body and keeps you from ruining the parts. What I would do if I were you is to take some sticky tape and before you disconnect anything, write on the tape and then stick that to each connector so that you can identify what goes where. Then, compare your new power supply connectors and decide what will go where. The MAINS connector is the 20+4 and it has a small clip that keeps the connector from popping out of the socket - so you will have to depress the clip, usually with an index finger and then pull up to remove the MAINS connector from the old power supply. Once you have all the connectors disconnected, then you can simply remove the four screws on the back of the old power supply and pull the unit out of the computer. It is smart to lay the computer sideways, flat on a table, so that you are looking down on the computer when working on it. Avoid touching components like IC chips. Make sure there are no sharp edges on the chassis that can cut your hand, so be careful. Some computers are crowded and have litle room making it difficult to get your hands in there to do the work, but if you are careful and patient you should be able to do it without any problem. Make sure also, that you mark any data cables or data connectors and after putting the new power supply in and connecting everything back up that you double check the tightness of all connectors including the data ribbon or cable to your DVD or CD and your hard disk(s). If you have a floppy A drive, make sure you insert the 3 pin adapter correctly - this can be difficult to do on a lot of machines and you may need a flashlight to see what you are doing or put a desk lamp over the machine while working on it to get light in there.

Here is a 650 watt Antec on Newegg that I think would work for you:

It is a modular supply which means that you only have to use the power cables that you need and not have all the extra dangling wires cluttering things up in your chassis:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

The problem is with your SMPS (as much I know about computers).

SMPS is Switched Mode Power Supply. It is the thing which supplies different power to different components of a computer. If your computer is not getting any power supply, that simply means your SMPS fails to draw current for your devices. You should either repair it or get a new one....

Source(s): Experience

Yes a 500 watt is the way to go. Go to a computer shop & make sure it will physically fit into you PC. Get the local computer nerd to take a look at it first if possible.