Computer power supply replacement?

One morning, my PC simply wouldn't start up. I was told that this could only be the power supply. This system (HP Media center m1050y) has, if I'm correct, a 300 W power supply. With everything this unit has to support, 300W seems underpowered. Can I replace it with something a little beefier, say 5 or... show more One morning, my PC simply wouldn't start up. I was told that this could only be the power supply. This system (HP Media center m1050y) has, if I'm correct, a 300 W power supply. With everything this unit has to support, 300W seems underpowered. Can I replace it with something a little beefier, say 5 or 600W, or is that too "Tim the tool man"? I'm female, by the way, so even if it's ok to get a larger Power supply, how would I know if it is compatible or am I forced to get the part from HP... it is no longer under warranty. Could sure use some help, here. If it could be something other than the power supply, what else might it be? Currently, my entire life is in a metal box in the middle of the floor flat-lining!

Appreciate any help!
3 answers 3