Can I run my bass through my guitar amp?

I have a 5 string Vintage Squier Jazz V bass and I have the Frontman 15G guitar amp. I don't want to use the amp for gigs and things, but would it be a big deal if I were to run the bass through the Frontman for the purpose of practicing in my room? Or would it do damage? I'm not going to blast it or anything, just play.

Cheers.

Favorite Answer

This is one of those long-standing questions that often causes people to say really stupid stuff.

It will be fine. Chris Squire and Lemmy have both been doing it for over 40 years.

People think that the lower frequencies of the bass will just somehow destroy the amp. That's retarded. No, guitar amps are not designed to recreate those lower frequencies. That doesn't mean the they will get trapped inside the amp and wreak havoc on it though, you just won't hear those sounds. If those low frequencies could really destroy the amp, then using an octave pedal would do the same thing, and nobody even worries about that being a possibility. The electrical signal coming from an electric bass is no different than that of an electric guitar. It's FINE.

They also tend to think that you need a high powered amp if you're going to even try it, because bass amps are always more powerful than guitar amps. That's stupid too. The reason bass amps are more powerful is because it takes more power to move all that air those low frequencies take up. It will be fine. If you crank it all the way, you may blow a speaker, but that's a risk with a guitar as well.

Unless it's a huge guitar amp, that's never a good idea

the guitar amp isn't designed to handle the abuse that bass puts it through,

and a 5 string is even worse

you will probably blow up the speaker, and it will sound bad

i'd get a bass amp as it would sound better for one and the other is it's logical. Line 6 is good:)

A bass guitar is a type of guitar so why not