can someone critique the components of my custom desktop build for me, please?

Here are some questions from another forum that they use to help simplify the advice giving process:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

mostly multi-tabbed web browsing and multiple adobe cs programs (i. e. photoshop & illustrator)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

around $1,000. yes

3) Where do you live?

southeast MI

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

i'll list all the parts i'm considering at the end

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

logitech wireless mouse & lg portable super multi drive

6) Will you be overclocking?

not familiar with this yet. if it's necessary i'll google it like i do everything else, but, is it? (necessary, i mean)

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

one 22 or 23" lcd flat screen

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

yesterday (asap)

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support?

i'll have at least 2 hard drives (one ssd) but i don't know if that means i'll need RAID support. i don't plan on needing more than one graphics card (i do my gaming on consoles) so i don't think i need crossfire support either. but everything i've read say the motherboard i've chosen is the ish & has all that stuff anyway

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS?

windows 7

Now that that's out of the way, here's what i'm looking at:

processor (CPU) - Intel Core i5 760 Quad Core $229.12

(2.8GHZ 8MB Cache)

motherboard - ASUS P7P55D-E LX $133.65

(LGA1156 P55 ATX DDR3 1PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 2PCI USB3.0 SATA 6GB Sound GBLAN)

memory (RAM) - G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL $85.39

(Ripjaws 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN DIMM Memory)

video card - ASUS Radeon HD 5450 $50.61

(Silent 1GB DDR3 64BIT PCI-E DVI-I HDMI HDCP Passive Low Profile)

case - Lancool PC-K62 Black $90.80

(ATX Advanced Mid Tower Case 5X5.25 4X3.5INT No PS USB Audio)

power supply - Silverstone Strider Essential ST50F-ES $55.31

(500W Power Supply ATX 24PIN 120MM Fan 34A 80+ Black)

CPU cooling - GELID Solutions Tranquillo $44.99

(LGA775/1156/1366 AM2/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler PWM 120MM Fan)

primary hard drive - Intel X25-V $95

(40GB Solid State Drive)

secondary hard drive - Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB $89.98

(SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM)

network card - ASUS PCE-N13 $26.73

(802.11B/G/N Up to 300MBPS PCI-EXPRESS)

or

D-LINK DWA-556 $54.99

(802.11B/G/N 3X3 PCI-E1 Adapter)

but i'm WIDE open for suggestions here. i can't find any N network adapters that don't have at least a few reviews describing inconsistent connections and/or short ranges.

sound card - onboard sound card integrated on the motherboard

monitor & keyboard - $135

TOTAL - $1036-1064

have i overlooked anything? will i be able to have the latest photoshop & illustrator open simultaneously with little to no problems? will i be able to use this build for a few years without needing to upgrade too much?

thanks in advance for getting thru all that & any advice you offer

Update:

thanx for the heads-up peter. i completely missed that & there's actually a much better/faster processor available for less than $10 more. here's the new specs:

processor (CPU) - Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor $238.99

(3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB Cache)

TOTAL - $1046-1074

Update 2:

i've started a new thread that continues this here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201103...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • C-Man
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You're in great shape with the new i5-2500K.

However a couple of things jump out immediately.

1) You're spending $90 on a CASE.... Why? There's absolutely no need for anything that exotic when you're not overclocking and don't have heavy-duty components (like multiple $250 graphics cards) to generate the kind of heat that would require such a case.

2) Your secondary HDD choice isn't a good one. Western Digital's Caviar Green line is designed for maximum energy saving, not reliability. Failures are much more common than with their higher quality Caviar Blue and Caviar Black drives. I recommend either going with a Caviar Black or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 hard drive- those are the best drives currently on the market.

3) A 40gb SSD for $95 doesn't look particularly appealing. It's worth spending another $30 to have 50% more space on a 64GB SSD.

4) A Radeon HD 5450 isn't worth $50, you can get better cards like a GeForce GT220 or Radeon HD 4650 for that price. Also, fanless/passively cooled cards are prone to overheating... better to have a higher-performance card card with a fan that stays cooler to begin with. If you think you might want to occasionally game, spend $15 more for a Radeon HD 5570. If their prices are too high on graphics cards, just order the system with integrated Sandy Bridge graphics (which are sufficient for what you've described, actually) and get a standalone card later from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

Performance comparison:

http://www.techspot.com/review/245-ati-radeon-hd-5...

• 4 years ago

Your construct is rather appropriate. The processor you might have, hold it. you dont ought to be needlessly spending cash on better ready stuff whilst the only you have already got is flawlessly nice. Your reminiscence is nice, photos card may be very well. Everything is flawlessly nice. The handiest factor im going to remark on more commonly is your tough force. I'd tremendously endorse getting, to begin with, a Sata 6.zero Gb/s and a couple of of them at that (Doesnt subject approximately tough force measurement) however they need to be the identical distinctive factor. 7200rpm, of direction. Than whilst you get the construct and do the whole thing you have performed to get it to paintings. After this, ask a query on how you can placed your tough drives into Raid zero in order that your pace is just about doubled. This manner whilst you sport and do enhancing the whole thing quite a bit plenty quicker. Trust me it really works. I placed my constant tough drives (very similar to yours) into raid zero and it did like a a million.8x pace spice up. i might reply your query within the i7 and i5 factor. The change among them isn't there clock pace, now not there cores, however there cache. i7 has plenty extra l3 cache. i5 is within the core, balanced. and i3 has a low quantity of cache. There are different matters however i forgot. Dont difference your motherboard, the greater it's the longer your pc will final and the extra efficiency you'll squeeze out.

• peter
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The cpu is outdated because of the new sandy bridge:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgH9Z...

• 1 decade ago

Could you please restate part of your short question on page 20, paragraph 6, sub paragraph 3? After reading the previous pages I got lost. Thanks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.