What do you think of MARSEILLE, France?

I am going to France to study French for the summer.... I found a really good school in Marseille, and it's close to all the things I would like to see.....plus we can take the ferry easily to go to Corsica... However, I really wanted to go to a quiet little town, where I can meet people and just enjoy... show more I am going to France to study French for the summer.... I found a really good school in Marseille, and it's close to all the things I would like to see.....plus we can take the ferry easily to go to Corsica... However, I really wanted to go to a quiet little town, where I can meet people and just enjoy nature.... and relax...and travel... every other option, however, seems illogical.... If I find a small place, the school and the classes might be limited, and I would have to spend too much money and time to travel to places I want to see.... However, everyone tells me that Marseille is too big, impersonal, full of foreigners, busy.... and there are much better places... I have to decide in a few days.... Have you ever been there??? What was your experience? Would you recommend it? Or do you have another suggestion?
I think that if I focus on school, and meet nice people, I could enjoy Marseille as well....
The school is in the downtown area, and I suppose the accomodation is not to far from there either.... HELP ME PLEASE !!!!