Which AP's for engineering?

I am interested in majoring in engineering in college. I am currently a sophomore taking AP USH 1, as an AP. However, for my junior year, I have been accepted into AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, AP Language and Composition, AP Statistics, AP US Government and Politics, and AP USH 2. Which ones should I take for engineering and which ones aren't a hefty work load?

Thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

AP Language and Composition is the most helpful because it will help with SAT CR and Writing scores and also at many colleges with a 3, 4 or 5 on the AP Exam, it can be used to eliminate having to take Freshman English classes which can be very time consuming in terms of reading and writing and can have very harsh grading. AP Calculus will be the next most helpful since Calculus during Junior year will be a large plus factor during admissions, especially if supplemented by 2nd year college calculus during Senior year. Most of the students I know who are admitted to MIT or Ivy Leagues have taken 2nd year College Calculus as a high school senior. Calculus is also a class that freshmen Engineering students generally take. The next would be AP Chemistry as this is another class that is part of a Freshman Engineering Major's curriculum. The plan should be to schedule SAT Subject Exams at the same time as the AP or Final exam in the course. Admissions will have the AP performance from Junior year so good performance in AP Calculus, English and Chemistry will serve well for admissions.

Workloads can vary widely. Generally AP US History that you are now taking is considered to be one of the most time consuming AP Classes. Between AP Language, AP Calculus and AP Chem, AP Language is probably the most time consuming for someone who is good at math and sciences.

It might be helpful to read through the requirements for various Engineering majors. The first two years curriculum is fairly standardized for all Engineering majors and at different schools:

http://coe.berkeley.edu/students/EngAnn_5-13-10.pd...

http://coe.berkeley.edu/students/Advising%20handbk...

Service Academy Cadets and Midshipmen take a pre engineering curriculum the first two years. West Point was the nation's first engineering school. See West Points standard curriculum on page 32 of the West Point Catalog:

http://admissions.usma.edu/documents/WestPoint_cat...

See the Naval Academy Core curriculum on page 56 of Chapter 4 of the Naval Academy Catalog:

http://www.usna.edu/Catalog/

AP Govt is usually taken Senior year along with AP Macro Econ. For an Engineering major, AP Stat and AP USH 2 are not going to be particularly helpful and AP USH might have a large reading load. . Any Stat class an Engineering major would take would have Calculus as a preprequisite. Take as many AP's a you can handle but don't over do it. Since you have taken Algebra 2, should be taking the SAT and also ACT. Sat Math tests Alg 1 and 2 and Geometry. Act also tests Trigonometry.

Good Luck!

• eri
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The most useful AP classes for you would be calculus and physics. After that, computer science, chemistry, and maybe statistics, but frankly you'll pick up basic statistics elsewhere - calculus is far more useful. Engineering is a lot of work; if you're looking for easy classes, pick a different major.

• 10 years ago

If you want engineering, then you want to take AP calculus and AP physics along the way. In addition, taking other AP sciences can be beneficial - and if you plan to study a type of engineering highly related to one of those sciences, it's a no-brainer. So for example, if you want biomedical engineering, AP bio is for you. If you want chemical engineering, then take AP chem.

Beyond that, which APs you take is entirely your choice.

So for next term, absolutely take AP Calculus; and I'd also have you take AP chem.

Make sure, before you graduate, you've taken bio, chem, physics, plus at least one advanced course in one of those subjects (ideally AP physics.)

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Well its a toss up between Calculus and Statistics. Why not take both? I have studied Statistics and found it to be very interesting and useful. Good luck in your studies.

Source(s): www.tssm.com.au/statistics_A193.aspx
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.