My first bike: Cyclocross vs Road?

So I am buying my first good bike, I have only owned crappy walmart bikes for commutes in college before. I am looking to do a century ride this summer but also want to have it to go around trails and ride around my city. I can't decide between a cyclocross or a road bike. Road feels like it would be better but... show more So I am buying my first good bike, I have only owned crappy walmart bikes for commutes in college before. I am looking to do a century ride this summer but also want to have it to go around trails and ride around my city. I can't decide between a cyclocross or a road bike. Road feels like it would be better but I am worried about rocky trails that I might encounter or the really bad road conditions around my house.
Update: what about the SCOTT CX COMP?

should i be worried about only 18 gears if i intend to do hilly roads and the century?