How long do you have to keep a roommate's abandoned property?

My roommate left the house and was not seen or heard from for 10 weeks. He then said that he would come and pay some of the back rent at an agreed time and never showed. All the while, he has left his property (abandoned it) at my place. He was a month-to-month tenant with no lease. I have tried to contact... show more My roommate left the house and was not seen or heard from for 10 weeks. He then said that he would come and pay some of the back rent at an agreed time and never showed. All the while, he has left his property (abandoned it) at my place. He was a month-to-month tenant with no lease.

I have tried to contact him numerous times, leaving voice mails and sending text messages, about getting his things.

I was wondering how long I have to hold on to his junk before I can get rid of it?