promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 9 years ago

What device can you recommend for Internet Access on desktops, without using cables?

I plan to buy an XPS 420 desktop and will need internet access. Wireless card, linksys? Do I even need to have a modem installed? The sales rep at Dell seems to think so but not sure if they are just trying to charge me extra.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is cell phone based wireless Internet access, which takes a special "cell-card" for access.

Then you have your "WiFi" based internet connections; where someone (yourself) has a broadband wireless router connected and configured to provide wireless Internet access to any users within range of the transmitter.

Not sure by what you wrote on what kind of Modem the Dell rep is trying to sell you, but if its V.9x based; otherwise known as dial-up, then the modem should be part of the package with no additional cost involved; but if they want to charge you to include this most basic feature, then have them leave it out; and instead throw-in a name brand wifi wireless card; and see if they offer a wireless card that has a removable antenna, that can be moved independently of the computer tower, this will help you get the best signal possible.

But I’m wondering, why worry about a wireless internet connection when you are buying a desktop computer? Your going to have a mess of cables connected to the tower, what difference does one more cable make. And with a "hard-wired" internet connection, you don’t have to worry about wireless signal dropping out, or having any interference, etc. you are always going to get full speed out of the ethernet port that the computer’s connected to.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

IF you have a wireless card with Linksys router then this should work fine. YOu don't need anything else!!

Source(s): Experience
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

you can also use USB wifi receiver you can review it there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.