Mac os x admin password trouble!?

My mom got a mac (version 10.5.7) from her work and there is a password for the admin account...no one knows it. I've looked around but can't get any of the hints or tricks to work. the command 's' didn't work (I typed it correctly on account of i did it a couple times). Your probably go oh use... show more My mom got a mac (version 10.5.7) from her work and there is a password for the admin account...no one knows it. I've looked around but can't get any of the hints or tricks to work. the command 's' didn't work (I typed it correctly on account of i did it a couple times). Your probably go oh use the installation disk...tried it. The utility method didn't work because the mac drive didn't pop up and my only option is the 'root' account. I tried a terminal but it was a waste of time...

If i reformatted it would it create a new admin account? Or is it possible to start the computer as if it's the first start up? (not talking reformat)