In Illinois, if a criminal record is expunged, who can still find the expunged record?

My friend had his criminal record expunged and even received confirmation that the police, state police, state attorneys office that the record was expunged from record. The police sent a letter stating they expunged the record which indicates that they destroyed the record. But Illinois law states: Except with... show more My friend had his criminal record expunged and even received confirmation that the police, state police, state attorneys office that the record was expunged from record. The police sent a letter stating they expunged the record which indicates that they destroyed the record. But Illinois law states:

Except with respect to law enforcement agencies, the Department of Corrections, State's Attorneys, or other prosecutors, and as provided in Section 13 of this Act, an expunged or sealed record may not be considered by any private or public entity in employment matters, certification, licensing, revocation of certification or licensee, or registration

I don't know who to believe. Lawyers are saying that police physically destroy the record and take it out of their database.