og asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

star wars books- are there any that precede the movie series? any with yoda, qui-gon, etc?

i was wondering if there were any stories in the star wars books that involve any of the movie characters so i can get more of a background if you will... interested in windu, qui-gon, young obi-wan, yoda, +others on the council, etc..

i've read truce at bakura so i kind of know what happens to the company after the movies... and i know a lot of the other books have nothing to do with the skywalker clan or any of the jedi council of the time the movies took place...

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you value your sanity I would advise you to avoid the time lines of books at ALL of the Wiki sites. I consider myself to be somewhat of a Guru on the Star Wars EU (Expanded Universe of books & comics) and even I get lost trying to make heads or tails of those insane time lines. They are horridly inaccurate and at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the titles listed there were never published. Here's a very good time line from Del Rey books, the official publisher of SW books:

http://suvudu.com/files/2010/07/starwarstimeline.p...

Dark Horse Comics is the official publisher of SW comics, here's a link to their titles:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/Star+Wars

You will be hard pressed to find any books that are set before the events of the movies on the various Council members you mention. There are some that are set during the events of the movies that ARE very good. "Shatterpoint" by Matt Stover "stars" Mace Windu and gives a TON of background info on him as he must return to his home planet to investigate the disappearance of a fellow Jedi who had once been his padawan. "Yoda: Dark Rendezvous" is a great book that reveals a ton of info on Yoda's personality. "The Cestus Deception" is on that "stars" Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan. "Cloak of Deception" is set just before the events of ep I and "stars" Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan. There are quite a few "younger readers" books that tell the story of Obi-Wan's training under Qui-Gon. There are also some "younger readers" books that tell the story of Anakin's training under Obi-Wan in the period between ep I & ep II. Don't let the fact that they are listed as "younger readers" books turn you off. They are actually good reads and don't seem like you're reading a "Dick & Jane" book. They also provide TONS of background info on those characters.

No offense but if "The Truce At Bakura" is the only book set after the events of the movies that you have read then you have no clue about "what happens to the company after the movies" ... none whatsoever. The books set after the events of the movies ALL center around the Skywalker/Solo clan and the events of an ever changing galaxy. There really isn't anything in them about any ofthe Jedi Council of the time the movies took place for a VERY good reason ... they are all DEAD by the end of ep VI. Luke does not reestablish the Jedi Council until about 25 years after the events of the movies at the beginning of the New Jedi Order story arc.

If you want to get a good look at way the story is told and goes after the events of the movies read the Thrawn Trilogy. The titles are "Heir To The Empire", "Dark Force Rising", & "The Last Command". They were brilliantly written by Hugo Award winning author Timothy Zahn and are what is widely thought of by fans as the main reason for the rebirth of the Star Wars story. One review of these books even went so far as to say that "Zahn captures the feel of the movies so well that you can almost hear the soundtrack of John Williams playing in the back of your mind as you read" ... finally ... a critic that "gets it".

Feel free to message me if you have other questions and as always ...

May The Force Be With You ...

Source(s): WebMaster/Owner Jedi Masters Lounge Life Long Star Wars Super Geek starwars.com darkhorse.com delreybooks.com Self Proclaimed Star Wars EU Guru
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.