Writers, I need help writing a police chase scene?

In my story, I need to write a police chase scene. It doesn't have to be too long, but I never usually write action-packed scenes, so I don't know what the best approach is.

The suspect and the police are both on bikes, and it's through the city and then the suspect escaped- just. So it really doesn't have to be too long.

I'd just like some pointers, like what would be good describing words for a fast-paced, tension filled scene, and what would be the best way to write it, like should I minimize description? If I wanted to explain it was night, and they were in the city ect, WHILE the chase was happening, how would I do that?

Thanks in advance!

• Rob
    Favorite Answer

Hi,

There are many parameters to consider even when writing what appears to be a simple chase scene.

My advice is to imagine yourself in the chase itself. Note what you see, feel, think, etc. This is the only way, really.

You might like to get down a few powerful and pacey words to prime your engine first, words that evoke a sense of movement.

Speed, rapid, flash, streak, blaze, hurricane, blistering, leapt, skittered, blinding, strode, dived, etc, etc.

Take 'fast and the furious', for instance. Can you hear the beat of the words? Repeat them to yourself over and over, as though they were lyrics to a song - FAST! and the FURIOUS! FAST! and the FURIOUS! FAST! and the FURIOUS! Let the alliteration sound of the F's get your blood pumping .

Then write out your piece straight from the top of your head without stopping. See where it takes you. Whether it's good or bad initially is of no relevance. The trick is to get anything onto paper so that you have something to work with.

Remember, get pumped up, put yourself in the chase, feel the excitement, then quickly write what you see and feel!

Good luck

I'm not going to write out a whole police chase scene for you because it's going to be too long. And NO it can't be "minimal" like you said. Action scene car chases need to be described in much detail to pull the reader into the action and let them really see it while reading it.

My advice is to watch something like the Fast And The Furious but skip to a cop chase and write down what you see just to give you practice at writing action. Or you can watch any 1970's exploitation film to get cop chases-they always have dramatic police chases in those. And write down details of the chases. Get practiced. One paragraph of a cop chase in a book isn't going to be vivid enough IMO.

If you want a fast-paced action scene, use short, simple, declarative sentences. Avoid too much description, only the essentials, and avoid going too much into the characters' thoughts. Focus on the action.

To incorporate the setting into the action, try something like this:

"Bruce rocketed through a red light at the intersection of South and Main. A semi-truck nearly blindsided him, but there was no time to think about that. The cops nipped at his heels as Bruce weaved in and out of traffic. Pedestrians on the sidewalk melded into blurs as he jetted past, and the reflection of moonlight on parked cars turned into a hazy white streak. He narrowly avoided clipping an SUV's side view mirror as he pivoted and turned blindly onto Cray Street. He checked his mirror. The flashing red and blue lights were still hot on his tail.

Would a sudden turn into a one-way street shake the police? It was worth a shot. The g-force pulled him left as he made a hard right onto Button Ave.

Had he lost them?

'Damn!' he said, looking behind. The cops were within spitting distance, so he gunned it down the alley. Eking every bit of horsepower out of his bike, Bruce exploded into a busy street corner. He swiveled around. The cops didn't see him. They drove right past. He was safe."