Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Why can't the public sector workers in Wisconsin learn to do more with less?

Being stripped of their rights to bargain for pensions and benefits.........

isn't going to ruin them. They still have decent wages.

and in all likelihood, they are still going to maintain their vacation policies.

Update:

It doesn't sound to me like their lives are being significantly deteriorated as a result of this new policy.

Sounds to me like they're making a big to-do over minor occurrences.

Update 2:

A strong majority of private sector employees seem to function without a union.

and they're controlled by employers who will do anything to make a profit.

If they can function without a union, why can't public sector workers?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Sure... the private sector workers are doing so incredibly well without their unions. Really? Are you living under a rock or something?

The unemployment rate is still high meaning we have too many private sector workers out of a job.

AND the jobs that are being created are crappy low wage jobs:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110309/...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower-wage industries -- things like retail and food preparation -- accounted for 23 percent of the jobs lost during the recession, but 49 percent of the jobs gained over the last year, a recent study (pdf) by the National Employment Law Program found. Higher-wage industries, by contrast, accounted for 40 percent of the jobs lost, but just 14 percent of the jobs gained. In other words, low paying jobs are increasing as a percentage of total jobs, while high-paying jobs are on the decline.

From the same link:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And a recent Wall Street Journal analysis found that even though productivity rose 5.2 percent from mid 2009 to the end of 2010, wages increased by just 0.3 percent. That means only 6 percent of productivity gains were shared with workers. In past recoveries, that figure has averaged 58 percent. This time around, far more of the gains went to shareholders, in the form of profits, which are at record levels."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That means workers are getting a lot more done, but not getting paid a lot more for it! Guess who used to make employers share more of the profits with workers in the form of higher wages...

That's right, UNIONS. I call complete BS on your claim that private sector workers are functioning well without unions. We are getting shafted... hard.

• 9 years ago

Because what they make whether in public or private industries is not enough to make a decent living. Now more than ever the only way families can survive is by having both parents working, and i doesn't helps that day care is so ridiculously expensive. The fact is that in the US, the gap between rich and poor is growing exponentially, so unions are essential to protect workers in any field they are in. We are in danger now because of the GO P's union busting policies .

Hope this helps

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

SImply put they are losing their ill gotten gains.

For many years unions have had the influence to get a politician in office then sit across the table from them and negotiate fat pensions that the private sector can't even come close to it fraud and corruption at the taxpayers expense.

I am a vested journeyman operating engineer with 20 years in the trade and i can't get close to the pensions those teachers get.

All that is being asked is they tighten their belt like we all are and they don't like it.

• Your
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

So, what you want is for College Educated Professionals who happen to work for the Government to get paid like a Burger King / Walmart Employes? Gotcha..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Why can't you deal with the fact that some people make more than you and have better benefits?

You all just sound jealous and bitter. Because you have a sucky job with crappy benefits everyone else should? But as you all like to say, it's your own fault if you were too lazy and pathetic to get a good job or a good deal.

It sounds to me like you want everyone in a certain sector to make the same amount or at least not more than you. Like you want some sort of equality. Like you want communism.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The public sector always increases and they got used to that.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They are union. They make a big deal over everything. They would climb on a bus in a New York minute to ride to anywhere else to support their "brothers" over something as small as length of coffee breaks.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Good Job Lois. At least you can see passed the BS unlike most other liberals on here.

• 9 years ago

Yeah, for now they do.

Guess who's the next target once their standard of life is destroyed? Bye bye middle class hello pre-union slave labor days. Who would've guessed we'd return to you after all these decades.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Whiny brats who've alwaysgotten what they've wanted never try.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.