Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Why isn't my cat growing?

My cat is a Calico [Female] And she isnt growing. she is not really tiny but she is small. i've had her for a while and she eats alot but she isnt growing. My dad thinks shes a "Dwarf species" but im not sure if that is real. I could use some help???

My cat is about 7-9 months old [i dont remember] and her head is small too. very small. I thik shes cute how small she is but i just dont even have an idea of why she isnt getting any bigger.

• J C
    Favorite Answer

There really isn't a 'dwarf species' of cat, although there are some real reasons why a cat will stay small. I suspect you got her from a shelter and have no idea who her parents were, and what size they were. Just like humans, smaller parents will have smaller children, and larger parents will have lager children. And some kittens are just born very small and these are often called the runt of the litter. If your cat really is 7-9 months old, her growth is going to slow down naturally anyway, and if she's the 9 months, she may be close to or at her adult size. Has she been to the vet to rule out obvious health issues like worms? And has she been spayed? Both worms and the hormones from coming in and out of heat can affect their growth in a bad way. At 7-9 months the average domestic short hair cat will weigh about 7 pounds or so.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue

Some breeds of cat (maine coons for example) carry on growing up until the age of 4!!

A cat between 7-9 months is definitely not fully mature, and still could have a couple of growth spurts yet.

My russian Blue was still pretty small at that age, and now age 2, he's massive! I remember a stage he went through where his body seemed to be growing, but his head seemed to stay really small, but eventually it all evened itself out!

Its also hard to remember how tiny she probably was when you got her, find some pictures of her when she was 8 weeks old, that'll make you realise how much she's actually grown!

Calicos are quite naturally petite cats, and females tend to be on the smaller size anyway. I really wouldn't worry, no doubt she's got a lot of growing to do yet, so long as she's feeding and drinking well, she'll be fine.

xxx

Some cats grow slower and some are just small cats. They grow until they are 2 so she could just be growing differently and put on an extra spurt when she's older, much like people. Some kids grow fast and stop growing at 12, other grow up to 16-17.

Your cat will probably still grow a little more but some breeds are just very small. I used to help out at an animal shelter and they had a very small, adult, calico cat. It is not the norm but it is also not that unusual.

how old is she? A cat can take time in growing. I hate a male cat who is now 2years old & has only now got bigger, he was the same size as he was at 6months but has grown a little bit more but more of a tummy now :)

SOme cats just take time & some are just small... people are shorter than others so why cant cats be?lol. dont worry too much,if you are worried ask your vet they shoudl be happy to help you out

it depends on how old she is cats usually stop growing at 2 years old thats when they classed asd adult maybe she is small we had a pekingese dog she could sit in the palm of your hand but her sister was massive she was a giant compared to her she was tiny maybe a vet can tell you the facts

If she's never seen the vet, now's the time.