Michael Jackson covered Charlie Chaplins' Smile? How so?

I've heard a couple people say that Michael Jackson covered Charlie Chaplins Smile.. but I'm confused because the video is "silent" - the song is instrumental only.. no words.

Did Michael Jackson make his own lyrics and if so how is that a cover?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Smile, though your heart is aching. Smile even though its breaking.

You really haven't heard that before?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

On MJ's History 2 CD set there is a song named "Smile" actually it's one of the best song on it I've looked all over it and the credit for that song goes to Chaplin (even the lyrics) Michael DID NOT take any credit for writing lyrics Jermane sang that song for Michael's memorial service

Source(s): I have the CD this song is on
  • 9 years ago

There are lyrics to the song. Charlie composed the music and John Turner and someone else came up with the lyrics and title in 1954.

I love both the instrumental and Michael's version. But I believe Michael's version is sooo much better. :)

• 9 years ago

Yes, as you probably just saw on American Idol, one of the contestants covered "Smile" saying she loved MJs cover, but gave recognition to Chaplin.

The original "Smile" by Dave Chapplin does have words and instrumental...it's a complete song. Michael, a huge fan of Chapplin and a fan of that song did a remake of it on his HIStory Album which in my opinion, is one of his most beautiful renditions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

i can not help It (so underrated) working Day and night it quite is the Falling in Love Burn this Disco Out Human Nature infant Be Mine the female in my existence Carousel invariably Love in no way Felt so good somebody on the hours of darkness provide into Me Goon Too quickly And almost each little thing on Blood on the Dancefloor and Invincible.

• Maria
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The song has lyrics. Are you joking?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.