My friend wants to change the world.. How do I tell her she can't?

She's 15, and is very mature & serious. She is very wise beyond her years but when she told me that she wanted to change the world, I was like '...ok.' She's just one person, you know what I mean?

She has always defend equality rights for disabled people, the LGBT community, etc. She often isn't afraid of voicing her opinion (might I add she is strongly opinionated and VERY stubborn - she doesn't let go of things). She also wrote a 9 page report about the misconceptions on the LGBT community (for herself... it wasn't school related or anything like that.) For her work at school, she had created an 8 page booklet on extremism.

She herself is 'disabled' but she doesn't consider herself to be because it doesn't particularly affect her or her intelligence. (Hearing loss)

She has tried and in some cases succeeded to educate other people on misconceptions.

I admire all of what she does, but really.. This is gonna sound harsh but I don't believe she can change the world. How do I let her down GENTLY?

Favorite Answer

the first step to changing the world is getting rid of morons like you. you're probably on her checklist. beware.

xoxo

I understand that you dont think she can 'change the world' but dont tell her that. Support her and even if she cant change the world she sounds like a person who will defiantly make an impact. Encourage her to do charity events and volunteer work etc but i would advise your friend to lower the tone. She might come across as aggressive and people are entitled to there own opinion. She has strong views but she should aim them at people who want to listen, like debate classes or whatever but her points might not be neccesarily right so tell her to bare that in mind! Your a good friend to be concerned about her...not sure if this helped :P good luck!!!

I go to UIC in downtown Chicago.

One of my clustermates here mirrors almost exactly the girl you just mentioned. Almost exactly.

He supports the LGBT community. He's participated in slam poetry events describing his support for them. He knows 15 programming languages fluently, and spends most of his free time coding private projects. He is a biker, and participates in the biking even Critical Mass every month. Recently I introduced him to rubiks cube puzzles, and in months he's blown my progress away. He's incredibly smart, funny, talented, and easily one of the most loveable characters i know. But he too is disabled. He has cerebral palsy.

He has trouble walking around, speaking, typing, doing pretty much anything and everything. Yet he always picks himself up when he falls and keeps trying until he can do it. He is the strongest willed person I have ever met.

He believes the world needs to open their closed minds. People believe what they hear, and keep biases instead of evolving them. He, too, wants to change the world. He has spoken before, in public speeches, and in his slam poetry events in front of massive crowds.

Don't let her down. Your friend has yet to even see the world. She just doesn't know how to change it yet.

Leave her be.

Source(s): Life experience.

we are a action picture star orientated society. the venture is that those celibates are as lost as a three-3 hundred and sixty 5 days-previous left on my own in a hectic mall. those celebrities are out to maintain their names in the previous the standard public to distract the standard public from the corruption of their lives. clever all of us isn't fooled. somewhat, the only guy or woman they care approximately is themselves. in the event that they actually cared, then they might divest themselves of all their funds and belongings, %. up the bypass and save on with Christ. positioned that throughout the previous them and you will see how lots of the run. As you could tell I genuinely have an exceptionally low opinion of Hollywood, Nashville and all the different action picture star warm spots.

you're wrong about this, and i can't wait for your friend to prove it to you. you should be inspired by her, you should be rallying to join her cause, you should believe in your friend. one person can, and has changed the world before. what about ghandhi? what about martin luther king? what about jesus?? there is strength in numbers, but those numbers need a leader. the greatest fire begins with a single spark. if your friend wants to make the world a better place she will. she has already shown she is changing the world, one step at a time by writing her paper. i believe she'll do great things, and as a lesbian i'm thrilled she's dedicated to helping the lgbt community too. it's just too bad for her that she doesn't have a friend who believes in her.

Source(s): p.s. being hard of hearing isn't a disability either. you should learn more about deaf culture, in addiction to all the other learning you've got to do.

Jesus you're a terrible friend. Why do you think she can't change the world? Individuals are the only thing that actually effect change. Where do you think new ideas come from? Space?!?! For your "friends" sake, the best case scenario is that you move far away and never talk to her again.

As another member of reddit - how about you go lock yourself in a room and don't come out until you think about how stupid your question is.

Anyone that has ever done anything EVER has dreamed about it by only themselves at one point. Who are you to say that she can't? Even her parents aren't really "allowed" to keep her from aspiring to be great. That's what makes the US great. It's the whole point of this country.

Now if you're somewhere else... well, then that's a different story.

well, single individuals DO change the world. Scientists, inventors, activists, teachers. She sounds like a very driven young woman. If she can focus her passion in one area she can very well achieve far-ranging things. Right now she's seeing injustice and suffering clearly for the first time in her young life. As she learns more and can zero in on that one area that she feels most needs her energy, she may very well do things that bring about monumental changes.

If you can't share her vision and her journey, maybe you need to get different friends.

Dude - I'm going to be one of the gentler voices answering this question tonight - if you say any form of "I don't believe you can change the world" to your friend, you are a *****. Keep it real, and help your friend out with what she wants to do, if you're not busy.

Maybe you can change the world, too.

Source(s): Good upbringing.
  • KMcG

Leave her alone, she isn't going to believe your well meaning but misguided words, anyway.One person can effect change. Go read some history. Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Margret Sanger, Jonas Salk,etc etc.

Tell her, if she want to change, to star with the girl in the mirror, she got be askin to change her ways...and no message could be any clearer, if she wanna make the world a betta place, take look at herself and make a change.....