Is it the thermal conversion of kinetic energy that slows down a moving car?

I read this article below and i find it hard to intuitively understand this. if the above is true, theoretically i suppose it's possible to stop a speeding car by continually throwing very cold water to the break disc (instead of pressing the break pad to it)... "A very common misconception is that... show more I read this article below and i find it hard to intuitively understand this. if the above is true, theoretically i suppose it's possible to stop a speeding car by continually throwing very cold water to the break disc (instead of pressing the break pad to it)...

"A very common misconception is that brake material is squeezed against a drum or disc, and the pressure of the squeezing action is what slows you down. This is only part of the reason the vehicle slows down. Brakes are actually a mechanism to change energy types. When you're traveling at speed, your vehicle has kinetic energy. When you apply the brakes, the pads or shoes that press against the brake drum or rotor convert that energy into thermal energy through friction. Cooling the brakes by passing air over them dissipates the heat and the vehicle slows down."
2 answers 2