Anonymous

how come restaurants wont let you in barefoot?

alot of places will not let you in barefoot..why is that?? and please give me some real answers.

• John73
    Favorite Answer

The reasons why restaurants demand that patrons wear shoes may very well differ from establishment to establishment. There are multiple plausible reasons.

(1) Some restaurants believe a law exists requiring restaurants to deny service to barefoot people.

(2) Some restaurants believe that allowing barefoot people to eat at their establishments increases their risk of legal liability in that barefoot people are more likely to be injured than people wearing shoes.

(3) Some restaurants believe that allowing barefoot people to eat at their establishments creates an excessively casual atmosphere that would offend their other clientele or otherwise contradict the image or atmosphere the restaurant is trying to create.

Of the above, (1) is absolutely untrue. (2) is practically untrue or, to the extent it is true, it would serve to justify bans on high-heels in restaurants as well. (3) is plausible for some restaurants, and I think that is the best justification for requiring shoes. Perhaps as society changes and bare feet are not seen as being sloppy or excessively informal, this rule will change, but for now, I understand the argument.

SOME restaurants, not all, not even most, will bother you about bare feet.

As to the reasons, let's be clear:

It's never been a matter or state law or health code in any US state.

http://www.barefooters.org/health-dept/

It's never been a health or hygiene problem. It it were, it would be part of the health code, and again it never has been. Money being handled by hands soiled in the restroom is a far bigger health concern.

It's never been a legitimate liability issue. If it were, there'd be a much bigger concern about the parking lot than the restaurant floor, and a far bigger concern about customers wearing high heels tripping and falling.

Those "reasons" are totally bogus.

There are only two real reasons:

Owners have decided that some customers are more valuable than others, and they have calculated that there are more people who have "problems" about other peoples feet than there are people who want to go barefoot. In the old days they kept out other minorities for similar reasons, but that's mostly illegal now.

The other reason is that in the days before the internet it used to be really easy to tell lies about the law, and a lot of people, including some restaurants, made up their own "health codes", in fact using "THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH" as a front for private prejudice. Many people, including other restaurant owners who never bothered to learn the real health codes, believed in these phony "laws", and put up similar signs in supposed "compliance". You're far better off eating someplace where they know and comply with the real health codes.

Source(s): Both my boys go barefoot everywhere, and I need to know these things. http://www.barefooters.org/health-dept/

So many people here posted that they believe its against health codes (Not true) and that is the reason restaurants usually claim. First of all, I have found after doing some research, that there is no health code anywhere that I have heard of (see sources below) nor should there be. When I go barefoot into a restaurant and encounter an employee who tells me to shod-up, I politely ask why and when they state health codes I pull out a letter that I got from the state and county health dept. stating the code does not exist. This usually does the trick.

Source(s): www.barefooters.org www.unshod.org "The Barefoot Book" Daniel Howell PhD
  • Ryan S

There is a common misconception that laws & health codes prohibit people from coming into restaurants, bars, etc. barefoot. However, this is a popular misconception.

While a restauarant's management may require customer's to have on footwear, this would be a matter of their policy, which has nothing to do with law. In fact, an official with the Wisconsin Dept of Health once wrote to me (in response to my inquiry) saying not only that there are no such laws or regulations in Wisconsin, but she went on to state that citing such "phantom laws" may actually be illegal.

The "unsantiary" argument is a fallacy as well. I can guarantee that shoes, flip-flops, etc. are no cleaner than bare feet.

• Timmay

I don't know where some of these people come up with their idea about "health code violations." It isn't against any health code for a customer to go barefoot into any public establishment.

In most cases, it's a matter of protocol. There are some restaurants that require a jacket and tie as well.

• I hate that! I love goin barefoot to the grocery store and fast food places but sometimes i get kicked out. But, a lot of times no one says anything. At one store, the clerk said it was awesome that I had bare feet! :-D

Because it is disgusting and rude. I don't want to see your nasty bare feet anywhere, and if it is a place where food is bought or consumed it is absolutely unnacceptable. Bare feet are gross.

Because that is unsanitary and you could contaminate everything. That one day you choose to go out to eat barefoot could cause a war of sickness.

• Al

it's because of local health codes that any licensed restaurant has to follow or they can get charged with a health code violation . case and point , people can carry all kinds of bacteria or foot fungus or any number undesirable health issues that can be spread . we live in what is supposed to be a civilized nation and in doing so we are subjected to laws that protect us from people that pose such risks

Because they do not want you to step on broken glass or anything dangerous on the floor.