Sabrina asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Any specific examples?

I need a specific example of each of the following:

A specific example of a time that Congress checked the President and a specific example of a time the Supreme Court checked Congress.

If possible, it should be within the past two years, but any time is okay. Something that has actually happened, not like: "oh, well, Congress can check the Judicial Branch by doing blah blah blah." But like, a time where it really happened.

For example: President So-And-So issued Executive Order Infinity and the Supreme Court struck down this Executive Order because of this-and-this.

I don't have cable, don't have any opportunities to get a newspaper, and am not able to get to a computer often.

Could anybody give me these examples? Please and thank you! :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Youngstown Sheet and Tube v. Sawyer. the congress refused to pass a law giving the president certain powers to seize the steel milss and the president did it anyway and the sp ct smacked Harry Truman down for doing that. that is a round about example of acheck on the president by congress with sp ct assistance

sp ct checked the state of VA's congress with loving v. Virginia where the sp ct said that there can't be laws forbidding interracial marriage.

• 1 decade ago

The Supreme Court recently overturned laws passed by Congress that made unlimited campaign donations illegal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.