What is a specific example of a conflict between two branches of the federal government?

For an assignment in school I have to find "one example of a conflict between two branches of the federal government." I know the Legislative and Executive branches clash all the time but I am having trouble recalling a specific instance.

Favorite Answer

Richard Nixon claimed executive privilege (basically that he couldn't be sued by the government for a crime) during Watergate. the court had to decide if Nixon had the privilege or not and they said he didn't. united states v. nixon, 418 U.S. 683, 94 S. Ct. 3090, 41 L. Ed. 2d 1039

also, Youngstown Sheet and tube v. sawyer 343 U.S. 579 (1952), is an example of the president doing something the legislature specifically forbade. the president took control of the steel mills during a time of war even though congress had specifically refused to pass a law allowing the president to act in that way.

for Yo. sheet and tube, read the sp ct case and especially Justice Jackson's concurring opinion for a great analysis of the separation of powers in america and when the president can and can't act in light of legislative action or inaction.