Should I buy a K&N air filter for my car?

Do K&N air filters really increase the horse power and torque of car engines?

Favorite Answer

It does a bit, it will slightly help with gas mileage too. U might want to look into other type of filters such as Injen & Spectre. If ur looking into power gain, K&N is good for filtering and inc power from stock. Other type of filters will have more of an inc in power but will not filter as well.

I have a K&N in my SUV & it helped with about a 5hp gain.

IDK what car you drive but on my friends Rodeo it gave a small low end torque a boost. other than that I don't think it added anything else.

IF you decide to buy one, read the instruction well. you can wash it and reuse it for a long long time. if you bought it and go to a service station like jiffy lube or any of those oil change or mechanic shops make sure that they don't tell you that you need a new filter. just some food for thought.

how much you'll get in HP is debatable, so don't buy it thinking its going to make the car more powerful. the ECU(Engine Control Unit)a.k.a cars computer will adjust the Air To Fuel Ratio accordingly, some manufacturers use a so unless your car has a very restricted air flow through the intake manifold... improvements will be almost Zero.

Gl

• 300zx

i use a factory drop in one, i think the hp and torque increase are minimal (like 1-2hp and 1-2ft-lbs of torque) but i do get slightly better mpg and you dont have to clean it for 50k miles unless it just gets ultra dirty, in 30000miles it will pay for itself since you don't need to buy a new filter ever just a $13 cleaning kit that lasts like 3-4 cleanings

Source(s): mechanic/ have one

Depends on the vehicle you can gain 2hp up to 15hp. They are a good filter you can clean and reuse.

I have a K&N on my GMC 2500HD and I gained an extra 21HP from it.

• Bub

ummm......... not sure.......... a lot of dirt track race cars have them.