I heard you should avoid foods high in K for Coumadin (warfarin)?

What foods would be good for patients on Coumadin that are low in potassium?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Vitamin K is the "antidote" for Coumadin. In other words, taking in a lot of vitamin K will cancel out the coumadin you take. In the hospital, when the blood is too "thin" from coumadin, the first thing we do is give a shot of vitamin K.

However, what's most important is NOT to eat a diet low in vitamin K; you have to eat a vitamin K STEADY diet. This means you must try to eat a consistent amount of vitamin K: if you eat a lot of salads and other things that have vitamin K, that is fine, but you must do it consistently. You will require higher doses of coumadin if you eat a lot of vitamin K, but your blood levels will be what you want them to be as long as you are consistent.

In other words, you shouldn't (say) eat a whole lot of salads for a week, then no salads for a week. Just keep the vitamin K consistent without extremes one way or the other. The goal is to keep your vitamin K intake (whether it's high or low or in between) the same from one day to the next.

People who take coumadin do not need to avoid vitamin K but they must regulate how much they get so it is consistent.

Anyone who takes coumadin should be getting regular blood tests to see if their PT/INR is in range. Eating a consistent vitamin K diet is the key to keeping those numbers where they need to be. If the numbers are too high or too low, there is a problem.

So you can eat all the vitamin K you want, but you have to do it consistently.

Since potassium is an issue (I'm guessing you/the patient has problems with kidney failure?) I strongly suggest you make an appointment with a dietician. Your doctor can recommend one or ask for a referral from the hospital where you receive your care. All hospitals have detailed information that would be helpful to you. Any Registered Nurse should be able to provide you with helpful information and reading materials.

The dietician can give you good advice and suggestions for appropriate foods. This is not to be confused with a "nutritionist", whose job is to sell vitamins and who may not understand what the hell is going on. A licensed dietician is a valuable resource for anyone who must follow a special diet.

Source(s): I'm an RN
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I heard you should avoid foods high in K for Coumadin (warfarin)?

What foods would be good for patients on Coumadin that are low in potassium?

Source(s): heard avoid foods high coumadin warfarin: https://biturl.im/q9nCP
  • 3 years ago

Potassium And Coumadin

• Denise
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

heard avoid foods high coumadin warfarin

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Vitamin K is the antidote given when you have received too much Warfarin. So by consuming high amounts of Vitamin K you are counteracting the therapeutic effects of the anticoagulant medication (Warfarin) you are taking.

• 9 years ago

you may need to watch salads - as they are high in K

BEST answered by a dietician -

have the patient's doctor schedule a visit - -

my bro had open heart surgery - and the place MISSED

sending the dietician to him = so he was merrily eating everything green

except - that was clogging his arteries back up-

and the stints everyone gets in 10-11 years - he got in 8

spent 6 VERY painful weeks - two rounds

of treatments YIKES

make the appointment

all the best

• Mayra
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

anything vitamin k my dad had open heart surgery 20 years ago and has been on coumadinfor 20 years and they say vitamink very very little

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.